LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Asiya fatima   18 October 2023

Consumer case against byjus

Hello, I dont have knowledge of law so I need some advice from the experts here. My sister in 8th grade was enrolled in Byjus this year and subsequently withdrawn a few days later and since then we've been demanding refund from them. It has been 3 months now and there has been no action from the company. They always say the same thing of us getting a call from headquarters in 48 hours which never happens. We are looking to file a complaint against Byjus now. I looked up a little and apparently some internet sources say we need to consult a lawyer to file a consumer complaint against them. We are not sure which type of lawyer should we consult with, where do we find those lawyers and how should we proceed in this matter. We have to pay monthly emi against our will even after we cancelled my sister's tutoring with them as they have not refunded us for over 3 months. Please advice.

Learning

9 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 October 2023

You can consult an experienced and skilled lawyer who will guide you properly on the subject to get your needful done.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     19 October 2023

What were the terms of refund?

Has the refund been denied or they say that  they are considering the refund?

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     19 October 2023

Just to file a consumer complaint needs no lawyer, it is socail platform to listen the omplaints of consumers and decide them on the basis of real facts,

Just write complaint on plain paper attach all the documents and emails that show your calim and submit in consumer court. Claim damges, charges costs and sate the facts in detail. The court will call them and then you can plead your case. Even it remains better to appear self in consumer complaints.

Suhail suhail (LAWYER)     19 October 2023

Yes that is correct agree with real soul

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     19 October 2023

You can even check the below helpline and call the consumer cell to register your greiveince but better is to file the complaint .

https://consumerhelpline.gov.in/

Sidhhi   20 October 2023

First confirm the terms agreed with byju for joining the course. If it says fee paid is non refundable it's bit difficult to get refund but not impossible. What's the amount involved? It's below 50k don't waste money on advocate fee and file on line complaint on portal Edaakhil. It's easy. You should attach the scanned copy of documents named Index of documents. You have to summarise events and submit an affidavit.

Hopefully you will succeed.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     22 October 2023

Without knowing the agreed terms of refund, I  am not able to agree or diasgree with about views.

P. Venu (Advocate)     24 October 2023

Yes, you can file the case in the Consumer Forum, as suggested. 

LCI Thought Leader Adv Harsh Malhotra (Adv)     10 November 2023

First & foremost you need to create documented records of your requests for refund sent, date wise follow up communicated to them & their responses as court of law works only on the basis of available documents.

You should approach a consumer lawyer, who can draft a legal notice for you that can be sent to the byjus office stating them to comply with said terms and initiate the refund process, for which they need to reply in a stipulated time period.

You can complain to the consumer forum if Byju's does not respond to your legal notice or does not provide a satisfactory resolution. A government organisation called the consumer forum settles disputes between customers and companies. You must submit a complaint form along with all necessary supporting documentation in order to make a complaint. For which you need to assemble all of the supporting information you can which consist of a copy of the enrollment contract, a copy of the cancellation letter, and a copy of your bank statements that detail the EMI payments, etc. may be included in this.

The rights of the consumer in India have been protected by several legislations, namely The Consumer Protection Act, 2019, The Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020. Since it is a sale of service check whether sale of good will apply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register