Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S MAHESH ABABU (ASST LEGAL OFFICER)     12 February 2016

Civil suit for recovery against employye when no order by da

Respected Seniors, 

I earnestly request advice/opinion from all of you on the following issue:-

For wrongful loss to caused to the company due to the dereliction of duty/negligence of  its officials in order to favour a stockiest and the supplies effected based on cheques given by the supplier was identified by CVO of the company. Upon his complaint, the matter was handed over to CBI in 2005. Simultaneously, the company proceeded against the supplier for recovery of the amount of supplies and also against its officials jointly and severally . Disciplinary proceedings against the employees were also initiated at the same time. Later on, 05 officials in charge of sales have been removed from service and the oher one was granted major penalty of withholding of two increments with cumulative effect for 2 years. These all happened around Jan 2008. But in April 2008, CBI submitted a closure report before the appropriate magistrate court that the criominal nexus, illegal gratification & undue favour to the stockiest could not be established. Nothing has been made out as per Prevention of Corruption Act. In the civil recovery suit , except the one all are ex-parte including the one who ios still serving in the company ( penalty of withholding of increments). Now the one serving is making an appeal before the management to withdraw his name since CBI had closed the issue and the penalty has been already suffered by him. Further subsequent to the punishmnet he has been getting regular promotion. In the disciplinary proceedings, the chage of of causing huge finnancial loss to the company by way of dereliction of duty/negligence in accepting the outsation cheques and also failed to bring to the notice of senior management about the dishonur of cheques  was established.

Now the query is when there is no order of recovery from the charged official by the DA in his order, still the recovery suit against the employees can be proceeded

Learning

2 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     12 February 2016

Vague information.  Whether there were any admissions or acceptances during departmental enquiry and the findings of the enquiry is more relevant.  Even when outside investigations prove otherwise, still internal disciplinary proceedings can not bar such external investigations or findings in Court.  The general rule is that if the institution suffers financial loss due to negligence, organisations must recover such losses, if it is due to negligence, deriliction of duties and need not be malafide. (This is my perception and I may be wrong also but I am stating practice going on  from decades.  I know cases, where authorities recovered such amounts directly from employees, even without initiating any disciplinary proceedings at all)

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 February 2016

The punishment as per Disciplinary Proceedings has been awarded.

Thereafter the employee has been getting promotions.

The CVO and CBI investigations have proved nothing.

Civil suit for recovery has probably has also proved nothing.

There is no order of recovery by DA.

Apparently there is no force in conceived ides of recovery now.

The stand of employee seems to be correct, and probably employee has already consulted.

However you may engage the services of an able counsel specializing in such/service matters and show everything on record.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register