LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Totallyharrased (me)     17 October 2015

Child custody

I am a man of 39 years old. I have got divorce recently. I have a 7 years old son staying with his mother. I am visiting my son twice in a month and paying maintenance for him and his mother. How to make shared parenting success in court although no such law in India?

Learning

7 Replies

advocatepassy@gmail.com 971794 (Advocate)     17 October 2015

Where law cannot reach, personal interaction can make wonders. Try to talk your ex wife and work out a solution which could be example for others to follow

(Guest)

Be happy with what you have, why you want to become politician?

My ex wife is very arrogant and I have failed to talk to her via all possible ways.

I am happy and wish not to bring ex wife in my life and wish to have shared physical custody of my son. I find no politics on my wish.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     18 October 2015

U have already been sufficiently adviced in allUR previous similar queries,why repeat the same gentleman?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 October 2015

You have yourself told that there is no such law in our country for joint custody of the child,then what reply do you expect from experts here on the subject.

In a country like India, where marriage is a lifetime commitment, divorce after having children is gruesome for both parents. What will happen to your children and how will you deal with society are the questions every Indian parent would ponder over. Co-parenting after divorce can provide a healthy chance of living a normal life for your children. In India, where divorce reasons are mostly because of abuse or desertion, parents are always at fighting ends. However, it is very much necessary and beneficial for a child to have his/her parent’s support, although co-parenting after divorce in India is not always possible.

A few steps are suggested for getting the relief of joint custody or co-parenting after divorce:

Divorced couples should take up joint custody of the child, putting aside your differences for the sake of the upbringing of the child.

In co-parenting, a child is free to visit family without hesitation. Living in nearby locations gives a better chance in providing this privilege to a child.

In India, fathers are earning usually and have free-hand in expenses while non-working mothers are left with child support for the childcare, which is not enough to maintain the previous lifestyle. In this case, what both the parents can do is to co-operate with each other in fulfilling the child’s needs.

Each parent should agree on making a co-parenting plan that clearly divides the major responsibilities among parents like education, medical and health, extra-curricular activities, character building among others.

Resolving personal conflicts: Often divorced couples cannot resist the rising anger over disagreeing issues. Especially for women in India, encounter with ex-husband again and again during co-parenting can be tormenting. Arguing in front of kids, and worse dragging them in between you for an opinion, won’t solve any purpose of co-parenting.

Co-parenting can be a demanding task after divorce, especially when you settled down and start entertaining personal needs. Acceptance, forgiveness and healthy respect for the other parent are the key to successful co-parenting after divorce.

Rakesh Agr (fighter)     27 October 2015

File a case under GWA. If she is taking maintenance then you have high chance of getting custody.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register