LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shaz (student)     27 April 2013

Broken engagement

Hi. This is my Second Post about the same topic. I am currently living in Canada on Student visa and my parents did my Engagement last month. I saw her picture only once and never met with girl. I force my parents to break the engagement. It was completely my choice that i don't want to marry her and i broke the engagement only after 5 days as i don't want to keep anyone  in darkness. Even i came to knew that   she is just 19 years old and i am 27. Before engagement it was told that she is 23 years. Now they are harrasing my Parents that they will file a cheating case against my family at the same time some members of my family instigating their family to take some legal action. There was no gift given from their family although my parents gifted her things worth 20,000 rupees and didn't even ask back . I am completely lost as i am planning for India and i got to come back to Canada to finish my Graduation. I desperately want to do my homework before travelling and want to help my parents to prevent them from  getting fabricated in false cases. Please help and advice me what precaution i can take in advance as i knew judidcial system in India very well and if possible please provide me any lawyer which can help me to take precautionary measures. Thank you in Advance. Please reply.

Learning

2 Replies

ajay sethi (lawyer)     27 April 2013

you had raised this query in experts section wherein number of experts have replied in detail . repeated query

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     27 April 2013

1.    If you already know judicial system of India very well as said in your brief then ask your parents to locally search for a Advocate and hire h/er services before you come to India.

2.    Once above is followed I donot see any issues remaining.

3.    However if you say the engagement was done in your absence then it means you have not even met your future wife whom you were engaged to marry, this itself shows that you were being forced for this marriage without your free will and consent.

4.    Any marriage which is by force or fraud and are not with free will and consent of both parties is itself invalid or void marriage, however there is no breach of contract for marriage in your case even certain 20 K gifts exchanged hands.

5.    Hence no legal impediment exists in this case against you.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register