LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shaz (student)     14 April 2013

Breaking of engagement

Hi. i AM Currently living in Canada on Student Visa and my parents perform my engagement last week. I Never met with girl only saw her picture. After Engagement i forced my Parents to break the engagement and they did the same. Our family gifted girl a ring during engagement and there was nothing exchanged from there side. Our family didn't even asked for the ring back. Now the girls parents threatning to book a case against my family and i am planning to visit India. My first question is can they book a case against my family for just breaking the engagement although i never met with girl. Second how much it will affect my career as i have to come back to Canada to finish my Studies. What precaution i need to take before visiting India. Please help. I m going in Depression. Thanks in Advance.

Learning

5 Replies

ajay sethi (lawyer)     14 April 2013

offer to reimburse the expenses incurred for engagement . you cant be forced to marry against your will . without your presence how was engagement performed ?

your parents can inform the girl side that they have gifted a gold or diamond ring to the girl and after engaement broke off did not even ask for return of the ring . it wont affect your career .

ajay sethi (lawyer)     14 April 2013

An aggrieved person can claim compensation or damages for breach of promise to marry. Once the existence of promise to marry is proved then its breach would certainly be actionable under S. 73 and 74 of the Indian Contract Act . girl side can also file case of cheating .

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     14 April 2013

All the differences what so ever be sit to gether by both the side parents and any reimbursement of engagement expenses and return of ring etc. can be settled there itself. Why filing cases ?

Advocate Habeeb (Advocate High Court of A.P.)     14 April 2013

The best thing is to reimburse the expenses incurred for engagement. The girl can book a case of Cheating. Its not gonna affect your carrer anyway

shaz (student)     15 April 2013

Thank you very much for the reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register