LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sridhevi (education)     05 April 2024

Bigamy case

I had done 2nd marriage and my 1st husband had got marriage certificate and filed bigamy case on me and he is rejected to do compromise.

can you please let me know if punishment is given to female in bigamy .Any way I can escape from bigamy or with fine without jailterm

Learning

5 Replies

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     06 April 2024

The punishment is imprisonment and / or fine, which do not have any gender difference. 

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     06 April 2024

Husband or wife who commits offence of bigamy,  punishment is same .

Shashi Dhara   06 April 2024

Deny second marriage in court, defend it, he has to prove it, it may relate to live in relationship, for 2nd marriage only punishable not live in relation.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     06 April 2024

You have another thread:-

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/bigamy-on-women-233622.asp

You have asked theat

"sir is bigamy present in new laws Bharatiya Nyay Sanhita (BNS), Bharatiya Nagrik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), and Bharatiya Saksha Adhiniyam (BSA"

Thee laws when notified will have a prospective effect that means the offences committed prior to such notification will be dealt with by old lws existing at the time of offence.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     06 April 2024

If your husband proves that you have married again during the subsistence of your previous marriage then on finding guilty the court may convict you.

Whoever, having a husband or wife living, marries in any case in which such marriage is void by reason of its taking place during the life of such husband or wife, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

There is no exception for woman in this regard

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register