Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chirag Sanghi (Student)     23 April 2015

Bci hidden education rules

Greetings to all my respected ones..

This is Chirag Sanghi from Indore (Madhya Pradesh)

I did my 10th from Center Board of Education (CBSE) and 12th from Madhya Pradesh Board of Secondary Education (MP State Board) on regular basis in year 2008 and 2010 respectively. My percentage in 12th is 70.45% .

Because of my family bad conditions all the responsibilities are on my shoulder to fulfill our daily needs as I have single parent that is my mother. She is divorcee and its very much necessary  for me to work for earning and help her to run our house needs. As I have to do work for whole day, I was unable to attend colleges regularly and to study in college classes. But due to my devotion for study and to make a better career for myself I decided to do my graduation from an Open University. I selected Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University for Bachelor of Commerce (B.com - Three year degree course). Whenever I got time to visit there I honestly gone to study center and collected all material and completed my B.com honestly by studying. My percentage in B.com final year is 51.66% .

Now for further education I want to take law education and want to take admission in LLB (Three year degree course). Here in Indore we have Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya University and when I went there they refused me to give admission because I did my graduation from an Open University. They told me these are Bar Council of India's education rule. It is a very much shocking state for me and my mother as its the time of my career and to recover our struggle of whole life. I made correspondence with BCI but they are not replying my mails, my letters, my phone calls, nothing. I am in very much trouble and I started to search these type of cases on internet because there are lots n lots of students who take their education from an Open University.

I got an article on CAclubindia. A student from Jamnagar Gujrat also faced such situation and BCI gave him a relaxation in education rules and guided Saurashtra University to provide him admission for law education. On the basis of that letter I also knocked the doors of BCI but they are not even responding me what I should do for my career.

I request all of you please guide me what I can do to solve my problem. Admissions for LLB will be closed on approximate 15th may 2015 and I can't waste my one complete year because of this HIDDEN RULE of BCI.

Please guide me what I can do. I will be highly obliged for all of you.

Thanks and Regards

Chirag Sanghi

Indore

Mob : 0- 97549-69651

Learning

5 Replies

bsrao   24 April 2015

Mr. Chirag,

Sincere regrets for dampening your spirits. Admission to LL.B. pan India is governed by the same rule. It is mandatory for an applicant to possess a degree under 10+2+3 pattern. Your open University degree does not fall under 10+2+3 and hence you'll not be eligible to seek admission in LL.B./B.L. programs anywhere in India. However, you can seek admission in the 5-year LL.B. program.

Hope this helps.

B S Rao

Chirag Sanghi (Student)     24 April 2015

Respected Sir,

Thanks for your valuable response.

As you say about 10+2+3 pattern, I did my 10th from Central Board of Education (CBSE) and 11th n 12th from M.P. Board of Secondary Education (State Board) as regular student with high percentage.

I did my Graduation only (B.com Three Year degree course) from open university.

I mean to say my basic qualification is as per rules of BCI, only graduation is done from Open University.

Please guide me.

Regards

Ajay Goyal (Consultants)     29 April 2015

LLB students without ‘10+2+3’ can’t practise law: Over 80 students who approached the High Court of Karnataka to validate the LLB course they were pursuing, have been delivered a rude shock. The HC has ruled that while the students will get LLB degree certificates on course completion, the same would prominently mention that they are barred from enrolling as advocates.  These students had joined the three-year LLB course after obtaining their previous PU or degree certificates from open universities. But they did not fulfil the 10+2+3 (SSLC, PUC, and a degree) criteria as most who study in open universities enrol for degree or postgraduation directly.  As the HC order notes, "Some of the petitioners either had not taken the two-year pre-university course before obtaining a bachelor's degree through an open university, or had a master's degree through an open university without having obtained a three-year bachelor's degree. There is one petitioner who has managed to complete the pre-university course and a degree course simultaneously. And there is a candidate who has a BA degree without having completed the 10th standard or PUC." The students who have approached the court are placed in the 23-to-53 age group.  The court had granted them interim relief to join the course, pending the outcome of the case. The arguments in the case were spread out over two months with dozens of advocates arguing for the students before Justice Anand Byrareddy. One of the main contentions was the BCI's (Bar Council of India) rule that students who have obtained a degree from an open university without first getting an SSLC or PU certificate were ineligible for the three-year LLB course. BCI counsel argued that it is not intended to de-recognise open university degrees, but only to set standards. 

Ajay Goyal (Consultants)     29 April 2015

In my understanding, he is absolutely eligible for any LLB programme of the country if he has a degree with 45% marks from a recognised University. Please ask him to apply online for LSAT--India 2015 exam as well before the deadline of 1st May if he wants to be considered for admission at Jindal Global Law School - arguably offering one of the finest 3-year LLB programme.

All good wishes

Anand..............

Anand Prakash Mishra LL.B. (Delhi) LL.M. (Delhi) UGC-NET (Law) Deputy Director & Head - Graduate Admissions Jindal Global Law School, O.P. Jindal Global University Sonipat, Haryana - 131001 (Delhi-NCR) 

THE BAR COUNCIL OF INDIA LEGAL EDUCATION COMMITTEE MINUTES OF MEETING Meeting of the Legal Education Committee of the Bar Council of India was held at 10.30 A.M. on Saturday, 16th April and Sunday, 17th April, 2011 at the premises of the Indian Institute of Public Administration, Indraprastha Estate, Ring Road, New Delhi - 110002. Item No.18/2011B (LE) To consider the note on seeking clarification as to whether 10th or 10+2 or graduation is the “basic qualification” mentioned in explanation to Rule 5 (b) of Legal Education Rules as it has created confusion. In view of the proviso, contained to Rule 5(b) read with the explanation it is clarified that to avail of the benefit of the proviso, the basic qualification of 10th must be obtained not from the open university system. 

bsrao   29 April 2015

Mr. Chirag, the degree you completed comes under 10+2+3 only if the eligibility for admission in to that program is 10+2. If the open University admitted you based on your +2 qualification, it is fine. But, if you sought admission based on age (>=21 years) and a special entrance test, then that degree would not come under 10+2+3 system. I disagree with Mr. Ajay's advice that candidates with any degree having 45% marks are eligible. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register