LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sonamon   17 September 2016

Sudden change of duty hours

I have been working in an international NGO for 2.5 years as Supervisor.. Since my joining on February 2014 my attaindance time is 9am. This  NGO runs medical projects, and maintains variable timings for staffs, but this timing had been fixed to them since their joining. Now suddenly without any valid explanation my employer is telling my attaindance time is suppose to be 8.45 AM. I will be marked late if i come after 8.45 am. Can an employer do this sudden change in timing without any proper reason? 

Learning

9 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 September 2016

Is it in writing?

Apparently it is to check on latecoming and late start of work in office.

Has the close time also preponed by 15 minutes?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 September 2016

Is this a big problem in private employment ?

The employer is free to fix working hours but the total time should not exceeed the maximum prescribed in statute.

sonamon   18 September 2016

Thank you for your feedbacks. No nothing has been given in writing. Should I ask them to give it in writing along with a valid cause for time change??

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     19 September 2016

"Can an employer do this sudden change in timing without any proper reason? "

why not.  even govt employes canot insist upon working hours of their choice.

Ask themto give in writing they will give and then will ensure that you do not get any grace or caoncession.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     19 September 2016

As per Factories Act 1948, Per day - 8 Hrs work is allowed to adult employees. Beyond 8 hrs OT is applicable

Kumar Doab (FIN)     19 September 2016

The open and close hours are narrated in enactments that apply to establishment e.g. Shops & Estbs Act.

Check the enactment and find your answers.

Companies are known to calim that if employee has worked for <30 minutes payment of OT is not applicable.

Company is under obligation to circulate in writing.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 September 2016

Originally posted by : Rama chary Rachakonda
 As per Factories Act 1948, Per day - 8 Hrs work is allowed to adult employees. Beyond 8 hrs OT is applicable

but still it is not binding for employer as to when the 8 Hrs shift should start.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 September 2016

It may not neccessarily be!

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 September 2016

The prevalent prcatices are there e.g;

Some Hotels ask to come in advance; as the  apperance and attire is to be checked.

It may sound humurous but the baraber in saloon checks if person has properly shaved or not!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register