Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manoj Verma (Engineer)     03 February 2012

Liquidated damages clause in appointment letter

Dear All,

I am a novice in legal matters and am facing this strange situation and need your expert opinion/advise.

I signed and accepted an appointment letter and decided later not to join the organization. Now this letter has a penalty clause which says that if i fail or refuse to commence my employment with this organization then I will have to pay Rs. 40,000 as liquidated damages.

Please suggest which is the valadity of such clause and what legal a/c this company can take against me and what all legal options I have at my disposal so that I don't pay this huge amount.

Exatract of the contract:

Upon acceptance of this offer, should you fail or refuse to commence the performance of duties under this Employment Agreement on the Effective Date of this Agreement, you shall pay to the company, an amount of Rs. 40,000 as liquidated damanges, which is agreed and understood to be a fair pre-estimate of the damages suffered by the company on account of such action.

Notwithstanding the above, the company retains the right to a file a claim for damages or take appropriate action in relation to any breach of the obligations by you under this Agreement.

Regards,

Manoj

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     04 February 2012

Company has to prove the amount to be claimed as liquidated damages.

Rs. 40000/candidate is a huge amount.

Were you inducted in the company and did you sign the inductin report and join the duties?

Did you sign offer letter or appointment letter? Appointment letter is issued post acceptance of the offer of appointment.

What are the reasons for not joining? Did you express the reasons to the comapny. There can be various grounds including the descripttion of the company, work environment, conduct of officials, unreasonable demands of the company like to pledge original certificates without any acknowledgment till the end of employment and/or to sign a bond etc which may deter the candidate from joining the company.

If the comapny issues any letter/notice, you can respond accordingly.

Manoj Verma (Engineer)     05 February 2012

Please find my response:

No I was not inducted into the company and neither did i join the duties.

What they did was, they called me to sign the appointment letter the HR representative asked me to read all the terms and conditions later, first sign on all the pages of appointment letter. So i signed and later on i realized that this clause was there.

My reason for not joining are many:

I got better work at my present company and also thefeedback that I got from this company's ex-employees was not +ve. Furthermore the way HR people dealt my case was not professional at all.

They have send me a notice on their company letter head to pay Rs. 40,000 by 27th Jan (which has already gone).

Please guide me what should I do.

Regards,

Manoj

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 February 2012

Company may or may not send notice after letter. You can reply to the letter or you may wait and if the company issues notice you may arrange to send the fitting reply thru your lawyer.

The employee must decline the unreasonable demands of the company. The concerned HR personnel has scored over you. You should have declined to sign the acceptance of the appointment letter on the spot and that too without reading and should have mentioned that you shall go thru carefully the terms and shall consult if required and shall submit the acceptance by your free will. The candidate should run a check on the company before taking a decision to be employed with the company or not.

Many employers mention in the appointment letter that the appointment is subject to clearing the reference check, past record of the employee and in case of any adverse findings the contract can be terminated by the employer without any coat or liability.

Likewise employee also has the right to know about the employer.

The liquidated damages clause was expressed to you in verbal/in offer letter or not? If the liquidated damages clause was not expresses and you were coerced /forced to sign the appointment letter, without examining it, then you have come to know the clause after signing the appointment letter. The conduct of company thru its concerned HR personnel is unfair, unreasonable. This HR personnel knew what he/she is doing still he/she executed this unfair act under instructions or on his/her own will. Both ways he/she has offended the rights of candidate with a notice to trap and exploit.

Company shall have to prove the validity of the amount of Rs.40000/.

Kindly consult elders in family, competent and experienced well wishers, lawyer/law firm before signing a document, as in majority of the situations HR and company has self centered and selfish motives, and there are well knit legal traps.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Manoj Verma (Engineer)     05 February 2012

Thank you for your valuable guidance. I have had challanges seeking a lawyer's consultation, could you please advise me some good corporate lawyer who can help me in this matter and approximate cost that might inoccur in such legal proceedings..

Regards,

Manoj

Kumar Doab (FIN)     05 February 2012

If you wish to avail the services of LCI lawyers you can visit the ' related lawyers' given on bottom of this web page.

Your near and dear ones at your location can guide you to a competent and experienced service lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register