Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravi Jindal (Owner)     08 May 2014

Implications of absconding from psu bank just after joining

Dear Experts,

Please help me to find out the solution of the below mentioned mess.

I've been selected in PSU Bank. I formally joined it 3 days back. On joining date I was called at their Zonal Office and from there they allotted us the posting location. I'm uncomfortable to the location given to me, So, I want to leave the job asap. I haven't reported to the given posting location after joining date.

In offer letter Bank mentioned about bank side notice period i.e. 1 month but nothing mentioned about employee side notice period. I've submitted an indemnity bond during verification which is one sided and a surety signature was there on Bond. Even in Indemnity bond it is not mentioned about notice period. Neither they briefed it during the joining. 

When I discussed this issue with bank, they said according to banking regulation act, I've to serve 3 months notice period or to buy out the notice period by paying the 3 months salary and need to pay the bond amount and If I left without doing so I'll not get job in any govt dept. 

Currently, bank didn't made any expenses on me and what I searched out on net is 1 sided bond isn't applicable and it is illegal in India.

Please let me know if I resign and abscond from the service and in future if I'll not disclose this employment, will there any chance to face some ill consequences of this action.

Thanks and Regards
Prakhar

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     08 May 2014

The Bank might have asked the selected candidates to provide list of locations being opted by them?

The posting location might be out of the list of locations selected by you.

If you don’t join sooner or later the Bank shall be issuing communications, notices, and legal notice to you. Your name shall be included in list of employees that have abstained, absconded, absented as per terminology preferred by the bank.

You have signed the Bond, appointment letter by your free will.

The T&C in appointment letter, Contract of appointment letter should be equitable or it can be easily termed arbitrary.

If as per your post no notice period/pay applicable to employee has been inserted in appointment letter issued to you then it should not apply to you.

For Notice period/pay one should not look into appointment letter alone but other instruments on service conditions too e.g. standing orders applicable to the establishment (certified/model. Any service conditions inconsistent with standing orders but inserted in appointment letter shall not survive.), service rules and regulations/HR policy etc reference of which is made in appointment letter.

You may ask this so called Manager of the bank vide which clause Banking Regulation Act specify notice period/pay?? 

The bank might have inserted liquidated damages in Bond without/with making reference to the actual reason/grounds/expenses incurred by it for creating this Bond. Liquidated damages are not necessarily to be paid on demand and might need to be proved. You may attempt to know from bank the actual expenses incurred by it on recruitment exercise, amounts collected by it from applicants/candidates, and expense that is per head.

This (recruitment) is not an exercise to earn profits.

You may feel like asking for payment of Pro Rated Expenses.

There are establishments that have reduced the liquidated damages in Bonds due to protests by employees/unions/trade unions and after realizing that the amounts inserted were unreasonable……………………………………….e.g.;MTNL/BSNL

www.aigetoachq.org/downloads/Agenda%20Points/10.doc

The Bank employees unions should also act for the benefit and welfare of its members.

The bank might approach court of law.

Once the matter is in court of law the court of law shall decide the reasonableness of the matter and reasonable amounts, if any.

Since the matter is likely to become a case it shall be appropriate to consult in person a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer specializing in such matters, along with elders in the family, surety that has signed on the Bond, show all documents on record e.g. job advt, job application, choice of locations if any submitted  by you, interview call letter, selection letter, offer letter, appointment letter, posting order, Bond, receipt of original certificates retained by Bank if any, etc…………………………… give inputs in person, and proceed under expert advise of the lawyer. It shall be appropriate if all representations are structured by lawyer to suit your long term interest and build favorable written record.

Your lawyer may find faults with bank and can update you on merits.

You may also seek advice from genuine Bank Employee’s Union Leaders.  

If you decide to pay notice pay, liquidated damages stated in Bond then you should endeavor to get a clean relieving order from Bank without any adverse comments against you in your personnel file/bank records.

The Bank employees have also initiated many threads in similar queries that you may find relevant e.g;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Payment-of-indemnity-bond-419196.asp#.UiNgTNKAqWM

There are many other threads e.g;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Absconded-inspite-of-having-a-bond-426216.asp#.UmfKhnCAqWM

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Breaking-the-bond-447501.asp

You may take a final call on your matter after understanding the merits from your lawyer and take a decision that suits your aptitude, long term interest.

It is so easy to unite.

The young and budding aspirants of our country should unite and rise to defend their rights.

DO NOT ABSCOND. ABSCONDMENT MAY BE RECORDED AS MISCONDUCT AND SHALL PROVIDE A OPPORTUNITY TO EMPLOYER.

DO NOT CONCEAL ANYTHING EVER IN EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION.

IF YOU DECIDE TO SEPARATE THEN YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO SEPARATE.

SEPARATE PROPERLY.

Attached File : 337088899 reduction in bond period as per cost of training annexure i ii iii iv & v for hr manager x12.doc downloaded: 104 times

@kumar doab will breach of bond affect prospects of other govt jobs?

@ Prakhar I don't know! I also don't know what is the breach for which breach employee can be debarred!

It is reiterated that you may show all docs on record including BOND and understand the merits of the matter from your lawyer. The lawyer that has examined all documents and inputs in person can advice you the best including on'whether employee can be debarred or not?'

If you have been provided with some printed version of the breach that can lead to being debarred you may attach it or provide link to it for the benefit of everyone.  

@kumar Doab please have a look at the attached files 
Indemnity Bond and offer letter

Thanks for ur valuable replies

Regards
Prakhar

Attached File : 337182372 cam00044.jpg, 337182372 cam00045.jpg, 337182372 ib.pdf downloaded: 245 times

The copies attached by you are not legible.

In addition to appointment letter, Indemnity bond, you may also show service regulations, conduct regulations, conduct and discipline regulations to a local labor consultant/service lawyer in person and give inputs in person.

In  Indemnity bond bank has used the term liquidated damages.

It is made clear that employee shall work for a min. of 3 years.

It is not clarified in lieu of what and which extra ordinary benefit, expense incurred, training bank has drafted this Bond?

In each city there a few lawyers that specialize in labor/service matters and they are well known and all such cases are usually referred to them.

Ask around and consult any such lawyer of your choice in person.

You need to consult in person.

You shall have to settle your T&C with your lawyer on your own.

Your bank employees unions, All India Bank Officers Union Leaders can also advise you and may also provide you the precedence of  decided cases by curt of law.

One such case is quoted in another thread mentioned above.

Your lawyer should be aware of many such decided cases too.

You may take a qualified decision after  understanding the merits from your lawyer as per your aptitude and decision..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More