Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RITAM PATHAK   15 October 2015

Declared temporarily unfit for bank jobs due to overweight

Respected Sir/Madam,

I being an aspirant of bank jobs , have been giving the examinations in order to qualify for bank jobs.So, i had opted for an examination for the post of assistant manager in IDBI BANK. I have been shortlisted after a subsequent online test and PI, and have undergone medical test. 

Today, the above mentioned company had sent the confirmation mail to several candidates, but on not receiving the mail I had called up the HR, who confirmed it that I have been declared temporarily unfit on grounds of being overweight.He had also mentioned it that we would receive a mail within a few days intimating us that we would be given a time of two months within which we have to gain fitness.Till now i had no knowledge about this issue that for an official job 'overweight' can be a reason for rejection. In the notification it wasn't mentioned the stipulated height or weight which is being mentioned in certain jobs as in the case of armed forces.

I hope sir, you will look into my matter with utmost consideration and would provide me an advive to work on in future. Todays incident has been a major setback of my life.

Thanking you,

yours sincerely,

Ritam

Learning

5 Replies

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     16 October 2015

You have informed that there is a medical test conducted by the institution, as part of recruitment process. The fact of medical test must have been informed in the advertisement for recruitment. Medical Tests are conducted to find whether the candidate is suitable for the job or not. The test results might have been against you, in view of your weight. I am of the view that its a good wake up call to you to reduce your weight, which is good for your health and future. While bank is offering a time of 2 months to lose weight, its a good opportunity to take it a challenge and reeduce weight and get the job offered by them, instead of litigating the matter by taking legal recourse, where the matter ultimately is neither here nor there.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 October 2015

You have posted that:

----"I have been shortlisted after a subsequent online test and PI, and have undergone medical test. "

Hope you have published list of shortlisted candidates.

----"company had sent the confirmation mail to several candidates, but on not receiving the mail I had called up the HR, who confirmed it that I have been declared temporarily unfit on grounds of being overweight."

The company has probbaly neither sent any intimation to you in writing...............................nor it has published the names of candidates kept in abeyance......................due to  say medical fitness.

----"He had also mentioned it that we would receive a mail within a few days intimating us that we would be given a time of two months within which we have to gain fitness."

You may minute the discussion in writing under proepr ackowledgment and remind him/her to send you the communication (email) as pointed to you............................and build some record.

Overweight/Obesity is health risk to indivisual also. Therefore you may visit a good physican that treats overweight and he may traet you and may even recommend a Dietician, certified Gym Instructor and with planned shedule you can loose weight.

many establishments view Overweight/Obesity as health risk that can increase the cost to be incurred by organisation on employee(s).

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 October 2015

please seek a copy of the laid down medical standards for the post.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 October 2015

The experts have properly and convincingly advised and opined about the issue of the subject query.  Since it is just a temporary suspension, you avail the opportunity and get yourself fit into the band of dignified employees of the prestigious organisation. 

Dipu The Boss   21 November 2022

Ritam what happened in your case please reply I hv same issue

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register