Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjay (Techlead)     26 March 2013

Company forcing me to serve 3 mths, in offer letter it is 1.

Dear Sir,

For me this is very complex sub., it is becoming.

Notice period- When i joined the organisation, notice was one month, they increased it 2 months through yearly appraisal process, then they icreased to 3 months through increment letter, with "immediate effect".

One imprtant thing- I have not signed and deposited the increment letter, infact nobody.I have only signed 1 month notice period joining letter.

Now it is very important for me to leave in 2 months, not due to job but for other purpose.

They have agreed for the same, but there is some probability of uncertainty. In that case what is the options open for me through law?

PS-It is very very important for me to leave in 2 months.

Regards,

Learning

6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 March 2013

Such maters are best resolved by applying rapport, goodwill, exceptional levels of reasoning, persuasion, persistence, negotiation skills, and resolve in favor while in employment…..

If possible suggest in writing the internal/external replacement, and train the designated employee/transfer the knowledge and complete (on record) all tasks on hand.

Such situations shall keep on coming up. Dealing with employer and line management/HR has become a game of chess and it is better to learn and master it.

Resignation can be without permission or notice.

If there is a clause on notice pay in lieu of notice period then it is the maximum compensation either employer/employee has to tender.

Do not leave any room for company to charge you on any count.

Any policy in the larger interest and beneficial to both employer and the employee has the sanction of law as otherwise it will be easily termed as arbitrary.

The increase in notice period is obviously beneficial to Employer.

One month notice is reasonable and sufficient for the employer to put his house in order.

Another option can be that you may mention in notice of resignation that cheque number …….dated……for Rs……is enclosed towards shortfall in notice period and demand acknowledgment/receipt.

Ideally notice pay should be @ Basic + DA as employer disburses Gratuity, Bonus, OT, leave encashment at this rate…..

If you wish you may mention that the FNF amounts may be reduced by amount of notice pay cheque and Form 16 may be issued as per FNF amount reduced by notice pay.

The line management can divide/assign the work to colleagues or amongst themselves. But the arm chair managers do not do it.

The companies and its HR keep on adopting techniques/tactics to obtain acceptance from employees and the insertion of clause on increase in notice period in appraisal process, increment letter is one of such tricks which is applied.

The employee should be smart enough to write on increment letter that increment is accepted and increase in notice period is not accepted…………

In your case you have not submitted the acceptance in writing, thus the increase in notice period (to 2 months and then to 3 months as it may be in your case) should not apply.

Obtain certified copy of standing orders of the company, HR policy, Exit/severance policy, employee rule book etc……, Tgt Vs performance record, appreciations/increments/appraisals………while in employment

However you should start building record in your favor from the first document you submit for separation, e.g. notice of resignation ( by letter thru redg. post addressed to appointing authority) …and cite reference of the concerned clause number…………on resignation/termination in appointment letter dated……..issued to you, and mention notice period/effective date of resignation/last day in office and demand acknowledgment and acceptance.

You may mention that routine duties may be issued to you those can be completed within and up to your last day in office i.e. and good offices may ensure all exit formalities are completed with in your last day in office i.e. dated………

You may mention that you may be supplied a communication in writing to whom you should handover the charge/company property and designated employee should be informed with a copy to you to supply you proper acknowledgment on the spot.

Issue reminders…………

Complete all assignments/tasks on hand and either a communication from line management or submit from your end to build record that nothing is pending at your end.

Notice period is part of service conditions and is stated in standing orders, SE Act applicable to the state. It is stated as max. 1 month in these.

Any change in notice period should have the written concurrence of both employer and employee.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     27 March 2013

yes go by Mr.Kumar 

he had explained very elaborately

with the rapport of the hr people or the manager under whom you are working you can make him convince him and leave the organisation by taking all the benefits 

sure before leaving the company take all relevant letters 

Sanjay (Techlead)     28 March 2013

Thank you sir for your exceptional analysis . you have not mentioned any acts or sections for more objective analysis

1. I am trying through persuasion,negotiation,request, my history of lyalty,honesty,tech strength- but there is a limit as this is not binding?

2. I am not in any project from last 5 months, technically I don't have any assets to transfer- Is there any section in the labour act in this scenario?

3. I have not signed the letter, hence don't apply- I am afraid of the time that it will take for legal gievance resolution?

I am hopeful with uncertainty in mind. But i am leaving not for job but for higher education, hence hopeful. It is essential as i have gone through very hard and comepetive process for selection, hence not willing to let the oppertunity. Is there any scope there from legal process and quick resolutions and binding enforcement of acts. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 March 2013

You have posted that:

--“They have agreed for the same, but there is some probability of uncertainty.”

Obtain an acknowledgment even if from reporting authority, on the copy of notice of resignation and make them write received in original and accepted. Get seal of the company and date affixed even if from reception where all mail/dak/courier of the company is received.

You are in which state?

HO/Redg. office of the company is in which state?

--“I don't have any assets to transfer- Is there any section in the labour act in this scenario?”

If the company issues any property/assets, it collects acknowledgment from employee.

If there is no asset allocated in your name, you may still handover I.Card, Visiting cards with a covering letter and obtain acknowledgment.

You may mention in communications subsequent to notice of resignation that no company property/asset is allocated to you and hence no company is with you, and ask for and ask for the confirmation that company has checked its record and nothing is due towards you.

You may mention that you may be supplied a communication in writing to whom you should handover the charge/company property and designated employee should be informed with a copy to you to supply you proper acknowledgment on the spot.

Issue reminders…………

--‘I have not signed the letter, hence don't apply- I am afraid of the time that it will take for legal gievance resolution?

--“I have not signed the letter, hence don't apply- I am afraid of the time that it will take for legal gievance resolution?

Even if, the company becomes adamant, the max. it can claim is notice pay for shortfall in notice period.

In case of dispute your lawyer shall be best placed to comment on time……….

--“ you have not mentioned any acts or sections for more objective analysis”

Look into the sections and clauses on Notice period/pay in certified standing orders of the company/IESO Act/Model Standing Orders, Shops and commercial Establishment Act applicable to your state, and T^C in appointment letter issued to you.

Thank you again sir for you replu

Most important i am in Noida(state-UP).I work within SEZ(SEZ act, 2005). Different institutions to handle the labour dispute.

1. They are not providing any written acknowledgement. I am afraid of last minute hijack.

2. Assets- Sorry for confusion, It was just meant information/knowledge as i am not in any project, so any specific expertise/knowledge need not be transfered. So company shouldn't feel victimhood of loss due to leave on the mid of project

3. I am ready to pay the amount, but i want relieveing and experience letter.

Right now doing anything, petitioning will go against me as they have still now agreed with my special case of very important education, a better life for a student and youth.

I am gathering very useful information to avoid last minute hijack.

Can you please help me in UP,SEZ act 2005, is there any provision where-

1. Person is already serving 2 months notice, only asking one month releif with ready to pay monetary penalty

2. Person not in any project, hence not even minor loss due to project

3. person already served the org. from last 5 years

4. Person not changing due to better job opperunity but for higher studies(which he got through very hard and competive selection process, with 0.5% strike rate)

5. Person's outstanding track record of project and solution delivery

6. Most important a quick legal resoution (through SEZ Act, 2005, labour's rights and liabilities)

once gain Thank you sir.

Thank you sir.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register