Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nitin Sharma (NA)     10 January 2014

Apprenticeship act 1961 - exploitation by employer

Hello,

I joined as a GET Civil in a fertilizer major in April 2012.

It was under Apprenticeship Act 1961, hence I signed a bond to serve for 4 years including 1 year training on probation.

After 1 year, they extended the training(read as did not confirm employment) for 3 months stating reason as "performance not upto mark".

After 3 months, they again extended it for 3 months stating the same reason. Moreover they also transferred me.

I did not accept all these and did not sign this time, left and did not join services at the new posted place.

It was July 2013. Since then I am at Home.

I want to discuss and have your valued opinion on the following-

In the appointment letter, it was written that the training can be extended only once. They extended it twice. I have proof.

Also they did not provide any formal training as required under the 1961 act and also made me to work as an employee by sending me to Chandigarh for a project and do routine jobs which an employee does.

These are something which are very clearly wrong on the Employer's part, apart from the work culture i wish to refrain myself to include here.

I have not resigned.

Please guide me what steps I can take to solve above issues. I can join back but transfer is not acceptable to me.

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     10 January 2014

You may not draw your own conclusions in the matter and must not get driven by this post as the facts of your case shal decide fate of your case.

You would need the counsel frequently and very often: of a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer well versed with ‘Inquiries’ also......................................in person.

The courts of law do not look into the appointment letter alone and examine standing orders, service rules, service codes and regulations, conduct and discipline rules...................................etc therefore download all of these and let your lawyer examine the merits.

Do not hesitate to approach your lawyer in person, at your location.

The lawyer that has seen all of your docs, record can advice you the best.

You have posted that:

----“Also they did not provide any formal training as required under the 1961 act and also made me to work as an employee by sending me to Chandigarh for a project and do routine jobs which an employee does.”

Apprentice is a learner and courts may also have opinion that whatever work is given to learn.........................is done by apprentice.

You may demand ESIC, Gratuity, Group Insurance, as in case of a regular employee of this establishment from DOJ and proof of having made the contributions..............................

As far as PF is concerned since nomenclature given is Apprentice it may be tough in your case................however if you can establish beyond doubt that the employee, was in-fact working in the regular establishment and being wrongly shown as apprentice, only to avoid statutory liability, you may have a chance.

{

Madras High Court

Nacchammai Cotton Mills Ltd vs The Regional Provident Fund ... on 6 September, 2011

BEFORE THE MADURAI BENCH OF MADRAS HIGH COURT:

“26.Once these employees are held to be regular employees and not apprentices, the judgments relied by the

petitioner lose all importances, as in none of the judgments, on which reliance is placed, it was held that a

person shown, as apprentice by the management, can never be treated to be an employee, even if, evidence

produced on record, proved beyond doubt that the employee, was in-fact working in the regular establishment

and being wrongly shown as apprentice, only to avoid statutory liability.”}

>> Has the establishment paid relocation expenses, and were these paid along with other allowances as in case of a regular employee?

If yes you may demand these too............

----“In the appointment letter, it was written that the training can be extended only once. They extended it twice. I have proof.”

This is breach and violation.........................

----“ I did not accept all these and did not sign this time, left and did not join services at the new posted place.”

Did you decline in writing under acknowledgment?

The establishment might have declared you absconding in its record and might have terminated?

Did you receive any notice of abscondment, termination and order of termination etc?

Since you are citing violations and seem to have acquired fine understanding too you may go thru the Act also you may go thru

Apprenticeship Rules, 1992

And thereafter prepare your finer points and approach a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer and show a copy of certified standing orders of the establishment and its clauses applicable to GET, Job advertisement, job application, interview call letter, section letter, offer letter, appointment letter, letters for extension of training period (2 times) any exam conducted by establishment by the result of  which training was extended, letter deputing you to Chandigrah for project, transfer letter etc.......................and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

You may also go thru:

>> Thread at LCI:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Gratuity-95380.asp#.UtAIWtIW1MA

>> The Management of v. The Presiding Officer,2. M.Balasundaram - W.P.No.18728 of 1994 [2002] RD-TN 386 (21 June 2002)

IN THE HIGH COURT OF JUDICATURE AT MADRAS

https://www.rishabhdara.com/sc/view.php?case=72195

>> Madras High Court

Workmen Of Pmp Textiles vs Management Of Pmp Textiles on 3 January, 2011

It is reiterated that you may show all docs and records to your lawyer and give inputs and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer and refrain from proceeding on your own.

Attached

Attached File : 930957387 ti diamond chain limited vs tarinee.doc downloaded: 53 times

Nitin Sharma (NA)     10 January 2014

Thanks for the prompt & detailed reply covering all points.

While on tour to Chandigarh, I was reimbursed boarding & lodging expenses as in case of regular employees.

I did not decline in writing. I did not sign the 2nd extension letter.

I have not received any letter or mail regarding termination or being absconding.

Companies are known to employ some tricks of the trade which are passed down from one to another e.g;

Copies of orders/communications inserted in personnel file and claimed as sent by normal post.

If your lawyer opines you may demand to examine your personnel  file maintained by the company.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register