Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Subholaxmi   18 October 2015

An appeal regarding india trust act

Hello,

I have a question regarding Indian Trust Act.

a) If a trust is formed to run NGO, can Govt. takeover it for any reason?
b)If trust is formed to run a temple, can Govt control it or do it have to pay hefty amount of tax? Do they have same rule for dargah or christian religious places?
c) If trust board is run by Govt. then does the money is spent for temple only or Govt decides how to spend it?

I need this information a bit urgently. I would be grateful if anyone answers me.

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 October 2015

A trust may be created for any lawful purpose.  Every trust of which the purpose is unlawful is void. 

What is scandalous is the corruption after the takeover of temples as politicians and officials loot the temple’s wealth and land, and divert donations of devotees to non-religious purposes  

If a trustee is corrupt, penalise him. But do not take over the trust. Communities, the world over, have a way of correcting themselves and promoting a vision that best suits them, subject to civil laws, of course. It wasn’t long before that all temple trusts belonging to the majority community were ‘nationalised’.  The strategy was invariably the same:  level charges of corruption; supersede the trust; appoint government nominees; and control the way ‘donations’ are spent. 
The temptation to control these trusts is obvious.  There is both money and power — a heady combination.

Now to your query:

a) The reason for takeover by government has been discussed above. 

b) Same as above

c) It should be for the development of temple only but government may divert the funds for other welfare schemes too.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register