Home > Experts > Civil Law > is Right to information act applicable co-op societies

is Right to information act applicable co-op societies (Civil Law)

Author : raghavan

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 00:49

sir,

i want to know whether Right to Information Act is applicable on Cooperative societies. whether they are bound to give information on a particular aspect. some say byelaws, annual reports could not be disclosed.if not what informations could not be disclosed by them

warm regards

raghavan

Expert : A V Vishal

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 01:44

There are conflicting decisions of different High courts about applicability of RTI to co-operative society but Generally, co-operative societies are not directly covered under RTI . But you can obtain some information which can be accessed from the Registrar of Co-operative societies by filing RTI application to RCS.

Expert : adv. rajeev ( rajoo )

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 05:56

IN my opinion RTI act is applicable. While filing an application mention the need of the details

Expert : N.K.Assumi

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 07:32

I am also of the view that RTI should cover Co-operative society in larger public interest.

Expert : A V Vishal

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 09:46

Mr Rajeev

In fact in your state the Karnataka HC has ruled that RTI is not applicable to Societies.

Expert : Sachin Bhatia

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 11:13

I think RTI is applicable on cop.societies.

Expert : raj kumar makkad

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 11:46

It is true that different High courts have taken conflicting viees about the applicability of RTI in the matter of Coop. Societies so opinion of Vishal is correct, however, the major opinion of High courts is that it is applicable because these institutions receive Govt. Aid and work under a stature.

Expert : dhiraj choudhary

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 17:08

i think coop. societies can not deny u any information in an application filed by u under rti in terms of sec.2(iv)of j and k rti which covers society or coop. society or any other organisation established under any law for the time being in force, by the government and directly controlled or funded by it unless it is able to show that this information can not be provided as per the provisions of sec.6 which deals with restriction of right to information.

Expert : PJANARDHANA REDDY

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 18:17

all coops HEADED by the IAS/GOVT AUTHORITY AS V.C/M.D are coming under the RTI.

Expert : J. P. Shah

Posted On 22 November 2009 at 19:13

Karnataka and Kerala HCs have decided that coop soc/banks are not under RTI. In 2007 Gujarat HC has stayed GIC decision of treating coop soc/banks under RTI. The best way to get info of coop society is through Registrar of coop society u/s 2f of RTI act. I have posted format for such application in my files on private entity at http://www.lawyersclubindia.com/share_files/files_display_list_by_member.asp?member_id=9318 or visit

private entity:
http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/154-how-get-information-private-entity-under-rti.html