Home > Experts > Others > age limit for LLB

age limit for LLB (Others)

Posted On 24 May 2011 at 19:18

what is the age limit for central Government employees for pursuing LLB regular course (3 years) especially from Karnataka.

Expert : PALNITKAR V.V.

Posted On 24 May 2011 at 21:05

To my knowledge there is no age limit for taking admission to LL B courses. The BCI had tried to put a ceiling but that rule has been stayed.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 24 May 2011 at 21:54

Dear Mr. Palnitkar,
I also thought so.
But yesterday I received a phone call from Chennai saying that Dr. Ambedkar Law University, Chennai has prescribed 30 years as the maximum age for admission.
But in Delhi University, there is no such age restriction.
I had advised the Chennai person to ascertain the following information from Bar Council of India.
(a) Whether Bar Council of India has prescribed any maximum age limit for admission to 3 year LL.B. Course? If so the relevant rule, notification thereof.

(b) If answer to question (a) is in the affirmative, whether it is mandatory for all the Universities to adopt the said maximum age limit or it is left to their discretion?

(c) If BCI has not prescribed any maximum age limit for 3 year LL.B. Course, whether the Universities can prescribe such age restrictions?

Only BCI will be in a position to clarify the position.

Expert : Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate

Posted On 24 May 2011 at 22:06

The Bar Council of India (BCI), which governs standards of legal education in India, introduced a 20 years age limit for the five-year LLB course and a 30 years age bar for the three-year LLB course.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 24 May 2011 at 22:36

Dear Mr. Sarvesh,
If you can please quote the exact rule or notification of B.C.I. it will be of great help to many (including me.).

Expert : PALNITKAR V.V.

Posted On 25 May 2011 at 04:04

I have already stated that age restriction was introduced by the BCI but the said rule was stayed. I shall ascertain the latest position on stay. University has no independant right to prescribe age limit for LL B admissions as the BCI alone has that power.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 25 May 2011 at 08:08

Dear Mr. Sarvesh,
Can you come back?

Expert : Thangapandian

Posted On 25 May 2011 at 23:57

Am not able to post the notification. But am sure ramchandran sir, that in tamilnadu maximum age for 3 year b.l is 30 years

Expert : Thangapandian

Posted On 26 May 2011 at 00:01

You can confirm it from the dr.ambedkar law university's website. Www.tndalu.com

Expert : Advocate. Arunagiri

Posted On 26 May 2011 at 13:16

As per the Advocates Act, 1961 wherein the Bar Council of India derived powers to regulate the legal education from the Section 7(1)(h) of Advocates Act, 1961.

The notification of age limit under Part IV, Schedule III, Item 28 of the BCI Rules of Legal Education adopted on 14th September, 2008 vide resolution No. 110/2008.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 26 May 2011 at 16:02

Yes, Mr. Arunagiri is absolutely right.
According to the said rule, 30 years is the maximum age limit for admission into 3 year LL.B. Course.
I checked up with the Secretary to the BCI. I am given to understand that many High Courts have stayed that particular provision, and as such many of the Universities under the jurisdiction of those HCs are not observing the 30 year maximum age limit. BCI is reported to have moved the SC for consolidating the writ petitions pending in various HCs and to dispose of the matter. The matter is yet to be finally decided by the SC.

Expert : PALNITKAR V.V.

Posted On 28 May 2011 at 17:38

Suppose if the rule is stayed by one HC, whether the rule operates in other parts of the country outside jurisdiction of that HC? Take example of Delhi HC judgment relating to gays. Does gay relations are valid only in Delhi?