Remember | Register | Forgot Password?
Bookmark This Page   RSS Feeds  Follow On Twitter


Search for Lawyers          

Home > Experts > Constitutional Law > Should approach High Court first or Supreme Court first

Please Wait ..

Should approach High Court first or Supreme Court first (Constitutional Law)

Report Abuse
This query is : Resolved

Author : Anonymous

Posted On 07 November 2010 at 19:23

Dear experts,

1)If a citizen of India feels that one or more of his constitutionally guaranteed fundamental rights are being violated by State, should he approach High Court first under Article 226 or should approach Supreme Court first under Article 32?

2)If a citizen feels that one of his fundamentals rights though not mentioned under part III comes under part III can he approach High Court or Supreme court to seek a clarification or opinion of court? If yes, will it be filed as a writ? What kind of writ will it be? Example: If citizen feels the right to property is also covered under Article 21 and wants opinion of the court.


To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at 

Expert : Khaleel Ahmed

Posted On 07 November 2010 at 20:09

Insufficient information provided in query to answer.However first approach High Court.

Expert : Parthasarathi Loganathan

Posted On 07 November 2010 at 20:12

Any case filed in High Court and verdicts therein can always be appealed to Supreme Court. Hence the author should first try filing at High Court for all constitutional law matters.

Expert : Kiran Kumar

Posted On 07 November 2010 at 21:54

its advisable to approach the HC first.

In P.N. Kumar v/s Municipal corp. Delhi, reported as (1987)4SCC609, Hon'ble SC has explained why a person shall approach HC first for the enforcement of fundamental rights.

only those rights are to be enforced which form part of the law (part III of the constitution). merely because a person feels that he has right to property will not provide any cause of action for filing the writ.

petitioner can not seek unnecessary explanation from the SC. SC is not a legislative body....its functions are judicial in nature.

Since you have not mentioned the facts of your case, it can not be correctly advised what line of action you should follow in the concerned circumstances.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 07:54

Dear Anonymous,
Mr. Kiran has given a very clear view to your query.
Further, it has been held by SC that right to property is not a fundamental right.

Expert : N.K.Assumi

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 08:03

I concurred with Kiran, but there is alao a reported case: Constitution of India- Art 136- appeal against Magistrate's Order directly to Supreme Court- Maintainability- Usha K Pillai Vs Raj K Srinivas 1993 SCC (Cri) 824.

Expert : s.subramanian

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 09:52

Mr.Kiran is right.

Expert : Uma parameswaran

Posted On 08 November 2010 at 19:30

Court is delivering the judgments and not opinion.


Posted On 09 November 2010 at 17:40

Mr.Kiran as well as Mr.Asssumi are right.



You need to be the querist or approved Lawyersclubindia expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login ( Members Login ) now

Similar Queries :

Quick Links

Browse By Category

Subscribe to Experts Feed
Enter your email to receive Experts Updates:

web analytics