Revenue Stamp in Promissory Note-worth

Dear sirs,
My client presented a promissory Note at me to file a civil suit in Which One Rupee Revenue Stamp is affixed. HE asked me to file the suit for Rs.4 Lakhs. Is that Promissory Note is sufficiently stamped for Rs.4 Lakhs ? shall I file the suit with that promissory Note.

can you give me an idea with exact provisions of law ?

Advocate. Arunagiri (Expert)

Section 2(2 3) of the Indian Stamp Act 1899 makes it mandatory for affixing of stamp on any receipt as defined therein above Rs 5000. Please check with the latest amendments.

s.subramanian (Expert)

It is the Indian Stamp Act which preceribes the stamp duty. One rupee stamp is enough. you can proceed with it. You can refer to Art.49 Schedule I of the Indian Stamp Act,1889.

s.subramanian (Expert)

The provision quoted by Mr.Arunagiri does not apply to promissory notes. It applies only to receipts.

R.Manivasagan (Querist)

Thank you sir

Sri Vijayan.A (Expert)

Re.1 is enough.
The stamp duty is not depend on the value of loan/ transaction as in other deeds/ instruments.

×