Home > Experts > Labour & Service Law > Disconnection of power/water supply to defaul tenant

Disconnection of power/water supply to defaul tenant (Labour & Service Law)

Author : sudhakara prasad kolli

Posted On 20 June 2012 at 10:05

we are running 32 residential apartments association named SIRI TOWERS FLAT OWNERS ASSOCIATION. there are 2 catogory in our building. residential and commercial.the question is due to hike in powerand water tariff,in the agm we passed a resollution to hike in maintinance charges for commercial establishments. but, all tenants refused to pay new charges. we served a notice to all tenants who are defaulting our dues will be disconnecting power connection and water supply to the defaulters. weather association has the right to do the same or not,please clarify sir.
with their maintinance charges, association may not pay salaries,power/water bills.

kindly clarify at the earliest and oblige
thanking you

sudhakara prasad kolli
treasurer,
SIRI TOWERS FLAT OWNERS ASSOCIATION

Expert : M.Sheik Mohammed Ali

Posted On 20 June 2012 at 11:33

its wrong act, because the association doing any thing as per law, so he is violated the your rights, so you may file a suit against association.

Expert : Kiran Kumar

Posted On 20 June 2012 at 11:49

I could not understand what my frnd Ali had advised.

but my advice is prior to disconnecting the connections, serve the same notice upon the Owners as well.

in the lease agreements/ rent agreements there must be some clause that the maintenance charges are to be given by the tenants as per the law or as per the rules.

if no action is taken then you may disconnect the connections provided there is no violation of local laws or Bye-laws concerning the present issue.

Expert : ajay sethi

Posted On 20 June 2012 at 12:40

you cnanot disconnect water and electricity connections for non payment . if tenants are refusing to pay maintenance then you have reemdy . file suit for eviction on account of failure to pay .

these tenants must be having electricity meters. in such a case let the service provider discconect electricity meter . tenants will then pay