Home > Experts > Others > Can any Advocate work in private company and also work as an Advocate in Court ?

Can any Advocate work in private company and also work as an Advocate in Court ? (Others)

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 00:24

I would like to know, whether any Advocate working as a Lawyer in court can also do job in any private company, which is not related to Law ?

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 07:23

While he can attend to the legal needs of the private company in his capacity as an Advocate, he cannot be an employee of that company. The moment, he is an "employee", then Bar Council of India Rules prohibits him from practising as an "Advocate".
When you say he is doing "job" in a private company, you have to be very careful that whether he is doing it as a professional or as an employee. There is a vast difference between the two. You cannot jump to conclusions.

Expert : Arvind Singh Chauhan

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 08:17

Ramchandran Sir has given the perfect answer.

Expert : PALNITKAR V.V.

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 08:27

Mr. Ramchandran is right. if the job is in the nature of employment and the relation is that of the employer and the employee, then he can not practice as an Advocate.

Expert : Legal Eagle

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 10:14

Mr. Ramchandranji, what happens in case that person is working as a legal officer or legal manager,who is on the pay roll of the company and profession tax is being deducted from his / her salary?Would such a person be allowed to practise??

Expert : yogesh

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 10:34

IF CONCERNED WITH RULKES THEN EVEN YOU ARE DOING LEGAL WORK AS AN EMPLOYEE THEN ITS GAINST RULES I Think some relaxation has givento law officers otherwise whenever there is recruitment for the post of Advisor/ secretary (law) its prerequisite that candidate must have been standing of Dist Judge with 10 years experience

From all conclusion its better to shift towards legal job as Manager(legal) etc . I think BCI only allows law officer for enrolment not for pvt undertaking I suppose(?) . there is complexity

Expert : ADVOCATE DEFENSE.

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 11:28

No person who is employed else where can be taken as member of bar council and hence no right to practice.

Expert : R.Ramachandran

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 15:01

Dear Kashmira,
You yourself are an Advocate. You very well know the conditions in the Advocates Act as well as the BCI Rules. Even at the time of enrolment there is a column where you have to indicate whether you are in any employment? If you are in employment, then the enrolment will be denied.
In the example given by you, you say the person is in the pay roll of the establishment. Once a person is in a pay roll of any establishment, it proves that thereis employer-employee relationship. Therefore that person cannot practice as an "Advocate". It is another matter if that person practices as "Advocate" by concealing the real position of his employment. If any one comes to know and make a complaint to the State Bar Council, naturally that person will be in trouble.

Expert : S. Bharath

Posted On 08 July 2011 at 15:51

I think Kashmira is misled by the nomenclature "profession tax", and tends to believe that when "profession tax" is deducted, such a person may be allowed to practice. The terminology "profession tax" is loosely used to indicate the levy, namely "tax on trade, profession and calling". It is to be deducted even from salaried employees including government servants.

Expert : Arun Kumar Bhagat

Posted On 09 July 2011 at 05:16

A person in employment can not practice.