The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizen Act, 2007 ensures need based maintenance for parents and senior citizens and their welfare. So far, 23 states and all Union Territories have brought the Act into force. Of these,13 states namely, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Tripura and West Bengal and 1 Union Territory namely NCT of Delhi have so far framed Rules under the Act. The remaining State Government/UT Administrations have been requested from time to time to take all consequential steps, including framing rules, for effective implementation of the Act. The Act provide for:
• Maintenance of Parents/Senior Citizens by children/relative made obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals.
• Revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by relatives
• Penal provision for abandonment of senior citizens
• Establishments of Old Age homes for Indigent Senior Citizens
• Adequate medical Facilities and protection of life and property of Senior Citizens.