LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Whether court can condone delay in filing written statement

Whether court can condone delay in filing written statement if parties are negotiating settlement during pendency of matter?

Even otherwise, it is a well settled principle of law that if parties are negotiating settlement during the pendency of a matter, then the Court will condone the delay in filing of written statement due to such settlement talks. This Court, in its decision in Dr. Sukhdev Singh Gambhir v. Amrit Pal Singh & Ors., ILR (2003) I Delhi 577, inter alia held that:

"5. Having heard, counsel for the parties and taking into consideration the respective pleas urged before me, I am of the view that this is a case where the delay in filing of the written statement deserves to be condoned. Firstly it is a suit for partition concerning family members where every endeavor should be made for amicable settlement. Even otherwise, the mandate under Section 89 effort ought to be made to settle the matter. Secondly, the defendant had already filed the written statement in the suit in District Court. Hence it could not be the situation that the defendant was delaying the case, but on account of the attempts at settlement written statement was not filed " (emphasis added)

The present suit squarely falls under the said exemption and this Court has the discretion to provide for extended timelines for completion of pleadings as per the prior statute.
Delhi High Court
Telefonaktiebolaget L.M ... vs Lava International Limited on 9 December, 2015
Author: Manmohan Singh
I.A. No. 25029/2015 in CS (OS) No.764/2015

https://www.lawweb.in/2016/02/whether-court-can-condone-delay-in.html

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register