Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Delhilawfirm   29 June 2023

What is the age for court marriage in india?

The legal age for court marriage in India is 18 years for groom and 21 years for the bride. However, certain states have different rules regarding the age requirement. It is advisable to consult a court marriage lawyer to understand the specific regulations and procedures involved in the process. A court marriage lawyer can provide guidance and help ensure a smooth and legally valid marriage.

Learning

9 Replies

Hana Kim   29 June 2023

Thank you for sharing this data mapquest driving directions. I really enjoy what you've written on your blog. You've shared a very useful and entertaining blog post with the public.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     29 June 2023

The marriageable age for bride is 18 years and to that of the bridegroom is 21 years.

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     29 June 2023

Yes for bride 18 years and for groom 21 years.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     29 June 2023

Agree with above experts opinion.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     30 June 2023

Your perseption qua legal age for marriage is reverse wherein correct age is 18 years for bride and 21 years for the groom.as advised by experts hereinabove, which I concur.

Niharika Lohan   30 June 2023

Hi. I'm Adv Niharika.

Accorinding to Sec. 5(iii) of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the age for a marriage to be legally wedded is 18 years for the bride and 21 years for the groom. The age difference between the bride and groom is based on the assumption that females attain maturity earlier as compared to males.

The Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006 and The Special Marriage Act 1954 also lays the above mentioned age for bride and groom, which is 18 and 21 years respectively.

Recently, in December 2021 a proposal had been placed before the Lok Sabha to raise the age of the bride from 18 years to 21 years. 

I'm attaching a relevant article link for you convenient reading.

I hope this information helps. For further query you can contact me via email at Niharikalohan@yahoo.com 

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/articles/raising-the-legal-age-of-marriage-for-women-in-india-15047.asp

Shashi Dhara   01 July 2023

Yes it is for marriage purpose but you should have  sufficient income to  run family  and bothside family support  at that young age , life is not  romantic movie be careful at the age of 30 you may regret first try to become independent having job , don't depend on ancestral  property  .

V.Satya venkatarao (EX Executive Director IFCI)     01 July 2023

As per the Hindu Marriage Act , the minimum age prescribed to enter into a Marital relationship is 18 years for bride and 21 years for bride groom 

nriway   05 July 2023

In India, the legal age for court marriage is 18 years for brides and 21 years for grooms.
If you are NRI's & need a birth certificate. Then go online with NRIWAY and get your birth certificate required for green card.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register