LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

desertedhusband (na)     16 March 2012

What is desertion?

Can somebody tell me what is the meaning of Desertion by spouse in Indian law? and how can that be proved? if proved, is wife still eligible for claiming alimony or maintenance? 

my wife left me 2 years back with our son and never returned. We have no contact for last two years. She never replied to my emails, never took my phone calls. i have all the proofs of emails and return ticket which I booked for when she went back to India after giving false excuse of her mother's sickness.

Learning

7 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     16 March 2012

Dear Querist,

Desertion means when one spouse withdraws from the company of the other without justified reason/excuse. It is composed of two elements :-

i) Physical Seperation;

ii) Animus Deserdendi (that is the intention to put an end to cohabitation)

In your case both the elements appear to be proved. The proof that you are talking about - is good, and might see you winning

Mr. Bharat,

If am able to to prove my cause as you say it looks stronger in my case, can she still fight for maintenance/alimony?

Thanks,

Any expert there than answer my question about alimony/maintenance? 

Mr. Bharat?

V R SHROFF (Sr. ADVOCATE Bombay High Court Mob: 9892432152)     16 March 2012

How  ur wife treated you/ not in society of each othere/ is desertion, you  named yourself desertedhusband  is truely named and understood by you, as u r matured in desertion for ober 2 years. 

No wife just accept it, so she will try to prove, it is you, who throw me out of home, and treaed me with cruelty, and  & & ...

so do not think, it is so easy to prove , and hence alimony and mtn will be payable by you to your wife [98% chances]  that u have to pay. In case if she or her Adv is a bit fool, u have 2% with you. ]

You  are eligible to file Divorce case,  under sec 13  HL for desertion & cruelty. 

Hello Mr. Shroff, 

thanks for your reply. I have question here, You say I will have to prove that my wife deserted me. can you plese guide what kind of proofs will be entertained by court, i have emails, requesting her to come back, i have copy of return ticket, etc. some more evidences also, and you also say that she will counter attack by blaming me for cruelty, bad treatment, throw me out of home etc...will she not asked to prove that? will court not ask her that where was she for two years and if I had been treating her like that then why did she never filed any police complaint ? why she is giving these excuses only after i filed divorce case...please guide, sir.

thanks

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     17 March 2012

Either of the spouse's withdrawl from the society (at his/her own choice) without justification for more than one year is desertion, onus of proof lies on the petitioner.

**Victim** (job)     17 March 2012

@ Deserthusband,

As mentioned by experts you fall in 2 % category but i suggest you try to prove that she deserted you. There has been instances when wife walks away from matrimonial house and then later claims alimony/maintenance to bring husband down but for that she has to prove a valid reason therefore don't let your moral down buddy. Trust me just like you there are lots of people who fall in 2 % category eventually one day that 2 % is going to be 100 % and then see how court will decide matter based on merits..........

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register