LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravishankar HY   25 August 2023

Water, Borewell

Hi, I own 5 acres of agricultural land in Karnataka. There are two borewells on my land that were made before 2013. Recently, our next flat owner has made a borewell in his land, which is like 15 feet from one of my borewells, due to which the water levels in my borewell have decreased. I have horticulture crops in my field due to the decreased water level. Now I'm facing a water issue. Is there any law in India guarding this? What is the legal way to fight?

Learning

3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     25 August 2023

Your neighbor has dug bore well in his own land.

The depletion of ground water in your bore well may be due to his new bore well or otherwise.

But you cannot take any legal action against him.

You may have to look for your own sources to protect your land and your water level by your own methods.

SRIPRAKASH BHATTACHARYA (RETIRED)     25 August 2023

In noway your neighbour or the owner of the adjacent farm land is responsible for such an unfortunate situation. Suggest to take the help of a Hydrogeologist or local borewell digger and go for a fresh boring. Please note that neither your neighbour knew that such a situation will arise nor you could visualise. It is an act of God. You may kindly have a dialogue with your neighbour. May be he may share water you but definitely at a cost. Digging a new borewell shall attract cost again.

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     26 August 2023

Settle the issue amicably,.

Your neighbour can dig borewell in his own land which you can have no objection. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register