LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Akash   04 December 2015

Tenant's cheque bounced

My mother owns a shop in New Delhi.  I am the registered POA and have the rights to enter into agreement on my mother's behalf.  I gave it on rent and entered into a registered agreement on 15th October 2015.  Agreement details:

- the monthly rent - 15K,

- 2 months deposit (15K in received cash and a cheque of 15K)

- Electricity charges to be paid by tenant

- Agreement duration - 22 months with a 11 month lock in period.

Additionally, I have also taken 6-7 PDCs for rent from tenant to ensure that I don't have to go to personally collect the cheque.

Facts of the case:

1. The cheque for security deposit (mentioned in the agreement) is dated 15 Oct 15.  However, I have not banked it yet; as the tenant requested to bank it on 1st Dec 15.

2. For the first month (15th Oct - 14 Nov) - The rent was received in Cash

3. For the second month (15 Nov - 14 Dec) - I banked the cheque on 23rd Nov.  However, it bounced on 24th Nov; due to in-sufficient funds.  The tenant then deposited the rent to the account on 28th Nov.

4. I banked the security deposit cheque on 2nd Dec.  However, it has bounced as well.

5. Along with the 15K rent, I told him to deposit 2440 for electricity (550 for Oct and 1890 for Nov).  He has not deposited inspite of me sending him msgs and email.

7. He intends to vacate the shop.

8. I spent 11K on brokerage and agreement, which is a loss; if he vacates.

9. The agreement says, if he wishes to vacate before lock in, he will have to pay 11 month rent

Please advise with the best course of action in this case.  Options of actions I may take, potential result of the case, time it may take; if taken legal way, pros and cons and  expected expenses.

Learning

4 Replies

Adv. Yogen Kakade (+ 91 9225510883)     04 December 2015

Hi,

Firstly send him demand notice immidiately for the cheques dishonoured.

1. Mention to pay the money within 15 days from the receipt of notice.

2, Mention the clause of lock in period and the consequences of failing.

3. Mention the loss occured because of non payment.

4. Mention the tenant's liability to pay for the period of lock in period and mention the cheques of that period are lying with you with the suppor to an agreement executed between you and the tenant.

5. Mention his liability of payment of other charges like electricity charges, brokerage paid, maintainance (if any), cheque dishonour charges deducted by the bank, legal charges for the notice etc.

6. Mention the consequences of non payment with the provisions of sec. 138 of Nego. Inst. Act. and provisions related to civil procedure.

Remember the limitation period for the cheque bouncing legal issue is very strict.. don't waste time in waiting.

Adv. Yogen P. Kakade

Jurycon Incorporation

Advocates & Consultants
Email: juryconincorporation@gmail.com
Web: www.juryconn.in  

Akash   04 December 2015

Thanks for your prompt response..  Would you also be able to comment on

1. Potential expense of such notice,

2. Estimated expense if it goes the legal way

3. Potential stand by law in such cases,

4. Time and effort  usually taken by such cases

Thanks

Akash   04 December 2015

Also, can I send him the notice myself or it is advisable to go through lawyer only

If I can send, can I send it through email or it is required through registered post or something.

Thanks

Adv. Yogen Kakade (+ 91 9225510883)     04 December 2015

Hi,

You can send the demand notice by yourself. Refer few drafts of notice. Mention to pay within the period of 15 days. Send two copies of the notice, one by RPAD (Registered post acknoledge due) and other by courier or speed post.

Adv. Yogen P. Kakade

Jurycon Incorporation

Advocates & Consultants
Email: juryconincorporation@gmail.com
Web: www.juryconn.in  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register