LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vikas (TL)     10 November 2011

Succession certificate

i have a query regarding succession certificate. My grandmother made a registered will in my favor 3 years back. she died recently. She had a pensionable account in the govt deptt. She had few medical bills pending for re-imbursement from the govt deptt, amounting to Rs 25000 approx. I applied for the same to be reimbursed but the deptt is asking me for succession certificate. 

Is deptt justified for asking succession certificate if i have registered will in my name ? 

Isn't their any amount limit, if it exceeds, then only succession certificate is required. As in my case the amount invlolved is very less ?

pls advice. Thanks in advance.. 

Learning

4 Replies

Piyush Vaishnava (Advocate)     10 November 2011

you have to require a succession certificate issued by a competant court.

(Guest)

In govt depts they require the succession certificate for a meger amnount in order to safeguard themselves. get death certiticate and apply legal heirship certiticate there after apply succession certiticate along with the letter issued by department in this aspect. it may take three months in maximum 

Vikas (TL)     10 November 2011

Sir, will this succession certificate be valid for her other bank acounts also, because currently i will be applying succession certi for claiming the reimbursement of medical bills ??

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     10 December 2011

for issue of succession certificate you may have to give notice to all the succesors (your brothers, maternal cousines and aunts and uncles) if any one is dead then to his /her major chilren and minor children directly.  In indian society none goes for the real cause, all one knows that filing unproved suit agianst married sister/cousine/aunt is considred to be sin and conduct is seen more damnageble if any one of them is widow. Even those relatives who are not party to this suit will also be happy to severe relations with you and even stop inviting you on family functions. Even th4 authnticity of WILL will be challaned andallegation of forgary will be disturbing for you. You carry on if the stake involved is worth it.  You will be very lucky if the family helps you amicably by simply not responding to such notice. Move only if either their is family amicability or you are thick skinned to bear all humiliation. Chances are their that atleast one greedy among the family can take PAO from all disinaerested parties and make your remaining life miserable. If bank accounts are either nominated or covered by will you may not need succession certificate. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register