LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ransom hater   22 July 2015

Streedhan knowhow

Streedhan is wrongly confused term with dowry and gift articles and many a times attract proceeding under Section 406 under the court of law. Kindly help to understand and differentiate it better 

1. Does Streedhan constitutes to Jewellery or immovable property only or it also includes other items like Grocery, Clothes, Suitcases, Quilt given to bride by bride’s parents
  2. Whether the Ring given to bridegroom as part of ring exchange ritual on account of Ring Ceremony is considered as Streedhan of bride, Gift to bridegroom or Dowry?
  3. Whether the Watch given to bridegroom on occasion of Ring ceremony is considered as Streedhan of bride, Gift to bridegroom or Dowry?
  4. Whether the Furniture (like sofa, bed, almirah) given to bride at the time of marriage by bride’s father is considered as Streedhan, Gift or Dowry?
  5. Whether the Electronic Items (like Fridge, TV) given to bride at the time of marriage by bride’s father is considered as Streedhan, Gift or Dowry?
  6. Whether the kitchen appliances like food processor, juicer etc given to bride at the time of marriage by bride’s father is considered as Streedhan of bride, Gift or Dowry?
  7. Whether the jewellery (like gold chain of 15gms) given to bridegroom on day of marriage by bride’s parents is considered as Streedhan of bride, Gift or Dowry?
  8. Whether the jewellery (like gold pendant of 10gms) given to bridegroom brother on day of marriage by bride’s parents is considered as Streedhan of bride, Gift or Dowry?
  9. Whether the jewellery (like gold set of 25gms) given to bridegroom sister-in-law on day of marriage by bride’s parents is considered as Streedhan of bride, Streedhan of Sister-in-law or Dowry?
  10. Whether the jewellery (like gold set of 25gms) given to bridegroom mother on day of marriage by bride’s parents is considered as Streedhan of bride, Streedhan of bridegroom’s mother or Dowry?
  11. Whether the souvenir (like clothes, blanket) given to bridegroom relatives by bride’s father on day of marriage is considered as Streedhan of bride, gifts to relatives or Dowry?
  12. On account of husband birthday, wife gifts husband a Gold Bracelet spending it from her own bank account then is that considered as Streedhan of wife or belonging of husband?
  13. On account of husband birthday, wife parents gifts husband a Gold Pendant then is that considered as Streedhan of wife or belonging of husband?
  14. On account of marriage anniversary, if husband buys Electronic Items (like A.C., Fridge, TV) on name of wife then is that considered as Streedhan of wife or Gift to wife?
  15. On account of marriage anniversary, if husband buys Electronic Items (like A.C., Fridge, TV) on name of wife from the amount given by Husband parents, as anniversary gift, then is that considered as Streedhan of wife or Gift to wife?

Thank you....

Learning

5 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     22 July 2015

STREEDHAN  is the property that a woman obtains at the time of her marriage, it differs from Dowry in the way that it is the voluntary gifts given to a woman before or after her marriage and has no element of coercion,and not all those as mentiioned by U.

Ransom hater   22 July 2015

Sainath Devalla Ji, Thanks for your reply. All the queries above are generally seen as part of the Streedhan list given by bridegroom. Like for point No.9, I am of opinion that any gift given to bridegroom sister-in-law by bride's parent is bridegroom sister-in-law streedhan and NOT of bride.

It would be really helpful if you could help with inputs for query from # 1 - 15

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     22 July 2015

I understand UR concern and if U R the victim I presume U must have been made to face  hell by UR wife and UR inlaws.Well, comming to UR entire list I would like to put in  nutshell.Any movable article given to either the groom or his family member's cannot be termed as streedhan.

Ransom hater   23 July 2015

Thanks Sainath Devalla Ji for clearing the doubt. That answers.

And yes, I am the victim of extortion done by my wife and her family.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     23 July 2015

U R welcome,goodluck

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register