LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Balasundaram R (JE)     21 November 2013

Standard chartered credit card

Sir, i have a standard chartered credit card. My credit limit is Rs.10000. I have been charged for Overlimit fee. I asked why they charge this fee as i was unaware of this kind of fee. I sent an e-mail on 13th November to them requesting explanation. 

They said I used the card for more than Rs.10000 so we charge overlimit fee. I told them when they have fixed a credit limit for me, It should not allow me to spend more. It should have declined the transaction. 

But they sent a reply stating "Please be informed that the maximum threshold credit limit for the card usage will be around 5% to 10% beyond the assigned credit limit.  We are sure that you will appreciate our stance as this precaution is sought in the best interest to avoid any possible inconvenience at the time of transaction.                         

We wish to clarify that if the outstanding amount in your card account exceeds the assigned credit limit, an over limit fee of Rs.500.00 or 2.5% of the outstanding, whichever is higher, will be debited to your card account. We regret our inability to reverse the same."

I have been charged Rs.500+61.80 on 30/10/2013 as B2OVER LIMIT FEE & B2SERVICE TAX & CESS. Again on 

12/11/2013 they charged the same. So totally Rs1123.60.  

As far as I know when the credit limit exceeds it should decline the payment rather than allowing me to do the transaction and then asking me to pay penalty is not acceptable.

I kindly request your views and solution on this.

Thanking You,

Balasundaram.R

Learning

4 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     21 November 2013

you said

"I kindly request your views and solution on this."

thanks for your kindness

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 November 2013

Such charges should have been inserted in T&C in Card issuance form and MITC sent in Welcome Kit along with CC.

If you have not paid it shall invite even finance charges and liability shall increase.

Therefore conclude the transaction in line with T&C. 

Balasundaram R (JE)     21 November 2013

Sir,

Thanks for your kind reply. Even if it's mentioned in T&C, is it correct that they charged the Overlimit Fee twice for the same billing cycle.

They charged on 30/10/2013 as a penalty. I never used my card after that. Again they have charged on 12/11/2013.

When they have already punished me with the Overlimit Fee again why are they charging.

Please guide me on this.

With Regards,

Balasundaram.R

Kumar Doab (FIN)     21 November 2013

You have disputed the transaction and bank/CC Company has replied to you.

If you do not pay the CC company shall keep on compounding the charges.

Another view point can be that to avoid compounding the card holder may pay and then demand reversal.

If there are merits in your case you can pull the CC Company to BO, DCDRF.

RBI has not mandated such high charges. RBI has advocated reasonable charges.

RBI has also expressed ignorance for charges levied by CC companies in response to a RTI.

Discuss your matter with your lawyer in person. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register