LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

GOKUL   04 July 2023

Stamp duty

Recently on a property purchase, for stamp duty that comes with registration process, the builder asked us to transfer the sum to their account for getting stamp papers. While registration they didn't attach stamp papers worth Rs.72000(Appx) rather they just kept 100Rs value alone ok first page as a stamp paper and the following had plain A4 bond throughout the document.

At last they had attached the receipt for stamp duty but not actual stamp papers.They told this is new way of registration. 

Is this valid, that the company has committed.

To my vision, they have given me the receipt of a product without delivering the product for what it is been paid and receipt has been generated for.

I'd like to have legal clarification on this regard. Please assist 

Learning

3 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     04 July 2023

The stamp duty may be paid through treasury/bank challan or e-stamp.  The amount paid for the purpose of any stamp duty through any source other than stamp papers will be noted on the back side of the document by the sub-registrar. So verify the document.  

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     05 July 2023

Stamp paper has to be attached with the document, which is for the specified amount (72,000/-) in your case, however, if receipt of Rs. 100/- has been attached it is invalid and insufficient.

Show the document to a local prudent lawyer for appreciation of facts/ documents and professional advise.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     05 July 2023

That is fine, the sale deed details are on stamp paper and the copies are always on plain paper. The stamp duty is now paid online and only the receipt of the paid duty (check if the receipt is of equal value) is attached as roof of payment.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register