LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sriram (Director)     27 November 2011

Property law

I am staying with my family and my parents. My father shifted to Mumbai in 1948 and had been since in the rented property since 1950. I am the only son and have three sisters.

Our property was taken up for redevelopment and the builder agreed to give the existing area Free of Cost and for additional area he charged us extra. We entered in to a agreement with the builder and me and my father were the joint holders of the agreement. The additional amount for the flat and the parking area were borne by me by taking loan from a financial insitution. My father expired suddenyl without leaving behind a will.

I want to know whether my sisters also now have a equal rights in the flat, considering that all the financials i.e. from paying up for the flat, doing the interiors of the flat and paying all the maintenance of the flat, property tax etc.? They are now asking for their share in this flat, though they are all well settled and well off. Also i understand that only the girls born after 1960 have the equal rights as a son and not the others born before 1960? Is this right? I am totally confused and at the same time tensed, because, after having spent all the money for the flat, which has added value to the flat, they want a share in this flat.

Kindly advice me the correct law.

Looking forward to hearing from the experts.

Learning

1 Replies

Advocate Vishnu (Advocate)     27 November 2011

Dear Sriram,

Who is the owner of the said property...? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register