Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran Patel (UK)     25 March 2013

Poa for disabled and mentally ill?

Hello All,

I am really hoping somebody can help here. 

We are from the UK. My father holds NRE and NRO accounts in India but had a stroke 6 years ago which left him paralysed, unable to speak or move.

My mother has a POA to manage his whole estate which she obtain from UK courts under the mental incapacity act.  

When trying to close down the indian bank accounts, they have said that our POA is not valid in India and we must obtain and indian one, however as my father cannot sign anything, we cannot do this.

What would the best course of action please?

thank you,

Kiran Patel

Learning

5 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     25 March 2013

Many banks have a pre-specified format, called mandate letter. You can approach  consult bank branch manager in India. There will be some formit to apply in your similar cases. 

K. GOPALAKRISHNAN (ADVOCATE)     25 March 2013

Dear Kiran Patel,

Is your father is in India or in U.K at present.

What is his capacity i.e., NRI or POI or resident of UK.

Abhishek Sarfare (Junior Associate)     25 March 2013

Hello! Kiran Patel,

I understand your query. I would suggest you to contact LegalJini Law Services. I have got my work done from them. They have very quick service. You can contact them on 8767404044.

Abhishek Sarfare (Junior Associate)     25 March 2013

Hello! Kiran Patel,

You can also contact them online. They are providing online Legal services too. Just visit www.legaljini.com and tell them your query. They will revert you very quickly.

Kiran Patel (UK)     25 March 2013

Thank you for all your replies and assistance.

- the banks have been very unhelpful and have said that they will not assist us

- Thank you Abhishek, I will check out Legal Jini. I would like to kno 

- My father is in the UK and is a UK resident (British Passport)

In Indian Law, is there any other legal document we can obtain that isn't a POA but will allow us to close these accounts down?

Thank you,

K. Patel

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register