Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Cupid Cupid (CRM)     10 February 2015

Paternity leave

Hi,

I am working in a Private company in Bangalore. A private company, like, HP (for instance). My wife is suffering an illness due to pregnancy and the doctors have suggested of an Abortion. My wife's organization is providing her 4 weeks paid time off (under illness due to pregnancy) from work to complete the procedure and to rest.

However, on the other hand, my company is not offering me any support in this situation. The best they are willing to do is, allowing me to take my remaining leaves.

Question: Is there NO law for men (working in a private company) to be given time off (Paid Leave) in a domestic (nuclear family) situation such as mine?

Please advise. Thanks!

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 February 2015

Line Managers/ HR personnel are not your employer.

Escalate to good offices of appointing authority,MD,Chairman.

Such companies are covered by ( name of the state) Shops and commercial Establishments Act that was enacted to govern the service conditions of employees working in such establishments. Leave is also governed.

The employer can provide superior benefits but not inferior.

Leave policy of the company can be framed as per negotiated settlement between employer and representatives/union/trade unions of employees and as per standing orders.........

Many companies do have paternity leave.

Your query emphasizes that:

1.       There is a need for the employees to unite and negotiate.

2.       The employees should promote united families and while parents take care of working children, working children take care of aged parents.

3.       Employers do not marry or adopt employees. Employees should not treat employer as  married partner or parent and defend their interest. United employees can defend their interest much better than isolated (nuclear) employees.

You can obtain list of employee’s union (IT sector) from many other threads e.g.;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Employment-situation-116491.asp#.VODF-IKqqko

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Us-visa-bonds-116550.asp#.VODCtIKqqko

Check the leave policy of the company and standing orders to find Paternity leave.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register