LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harpreeth (individual)     03 January 2013

Partition suit

I am a married Hindu female, eldest daughter to my father.  My father has expired in 2009 which I have not been informed, since mine was a love marriage.  My mother and my youngest brother had absolutely no source of income and were totally dependent on my father's earnings.

Property A:  My mother has sold a flat which my father had bought in her name in 2004 in 2010 to a person who knew that my father had 3 daughters and 1 son.  The other siblings have signed on the Registered Sale Agreement as consenting witness, and it is also mentioned that my mother has two daughters and one son and my name is not mentioned.  I would like to know how to stake a claim.  Can i get this agreement cancelled, since the person buying it was also aware that I am alive.  Is this criminal or civil case.

Property B:  My father and his brothers had set up a factory in Peenya Industrial Area, which measures approx 12000 sqft.  After his death, the ROC has not been given his Death Certificate and his shares have been transferred to my mother's name and she has in turn sold it off to the other partner (father's brother).  The Chartered accountant had told them that this is illegal but they insisted and went ahead with it.  I would like to know how to stake claim and whether this is criminal or civil case. Will the shareholding of 40% go by default to my mother since she claims she is after the death of my father.

Property C:  I would like to include his bank a/c savings, cash, Skoda Octavia Car and other sundry items of my father which have also been disposed off.  Would the sale of car, etc be civil or criminal case.

Property D:  This is the only property that they have left and they are looking to dispose off this property immediately.  My father has bought in the name of my mother a site from Basaveshwara Housing Society in CHandra Layout in 1989 and then subsequently in 2006 got a house constructed which is valued at around 1.5 crores.  How do i prevent them from selling this and how to stake claim.

Property E:  With all the money they have obtained thru these sales, they have bought a flat in Pune and shifted to Pune.  They have also set up a company there.  My younger brother has bought imported bikes and high end cars with this source of money.  SInce these have been bought with sale proceeds can i stake claim to these?

We have tried to talk to them, but they are not willing to listen and have replied that they will not pay us a paise also.  They say that the properties are absolute properties of my mother although she had no source of income and everything was purchased using my father's money.

i would like to know if I can file a proper case, whether i have to file individual cases or a combined case for all the properties, what would be the cost involved and how long would this case drag on?  NOTE:  We have obtained all documents pertaining to property and also documents from ROC regarding company.

We have to get stay order immediately, so we look forward to starting process immediately.

Learning

2 Replies

LegalArrow ( Advocate Bangalore)     03 January 2013

First, it has to be ascertained how the schedule proprties have devolved upon your mother and brother. if your father has made a bequest by way of a will in favour of mother and brother, then you have no share in the said schedule properties. if your father has died intestate i.e without executing any will or any other testamentary disposition , then definately u have one equal share among the schedule properties. If that is so, you must immediately file a suit for partition and separte possession and seek injunction against the the remaining members of your family not to alienate the suit schedule prperties in favour of a 3rd party,,in order to protect your share in the family properties, so also u can  seek cancellation of the subsequent sale deeds in which you are not made as a consenting witness. In Bangalore Advocates fee varies and depends upon the practise of the advocate. 

Advocate Vishnu (Advocate)     03 January 2013

Dear Harpeeth,

The correct legal position is as follows:

Property A: Since it was bought on your mother's name, it becomes her absolute property  and she is free to to handle that property as per her wishes.

Property B: you have 1/5th  right in the said shares. 1/5th will go your mother and 1/5th to your brother.[ This condition applies only is your father has not left any will as to how his shares should be utilised upon his demise]

Property C: Sure, you can file a suit and seek 1/3 share in the above mentioned items.

Proeprty D: The same condition as property A.

Property E: You can seek a stake in this property, by proving that money from the sale of property C went into buying property E.

You will have to file a suit for partition and declaration, with respect to propety B and C and it is just one case. Pl file the case immediately, as it is very difficult to recover your rightful share, if they sell stuff here in b'lore and move to Pune.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register