Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pradeep (na)     08 September 2013

Mother wants to gift her share to son

Dear Learned lawyers,

1. My friend's father passed away w/o will.

2. Mother has one son (my friend) and one daughter and now my friend is taking care of his mother daughter is far away.

3. She wants to gift her 1/3 rightful property to my friend. (Father's self earned property)

Q1 : What she should do ? Can she write plain will w/o partition or she should file for partition suit and then hand over the share to my friend.

Q2 : Property value is 12 lakhs what would be approximate value of fees for partition suit ?

Please HELP !

THANKS in ADVANCE !

Pradeep

Learning

2 Replies

Namita Agarwal (---)     08 September 2013

Father passed away without a Will.  Hence his self earned property will be divided between his legal heirs - widow(1/3), son(1/3) and daughter(1/3).  I am assuming that these three are the only legal heirs of the father.

Now, the mother can give away her share(1/3) to the son either during her lifetime and transfer the property in his name or she can make a Will, so that the property gets transferred to her son after her demise.  She can even execute a relinquishment deed in favour of the son.

Pradeep (na)     17 September 2013

Dear Namitha Agarwal,

Thank you very much for you reply. I discussed your points with my friend and they want to go by WILL route without partition / without relinquishment deed. I have advised them to register it and make use of good lawyers so that he will not get any issue in future.

Thanks Again

Pradeep

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register