LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kanika (Visualiser)     17 August 2010

Missed Flight due to traffic congestion

Me and my husband recently missed our flight because of traffic congestion starting from delhi cant till domestic airport. Despite of calling polic helpline twice nothing was done and we stuck at the same place for 25 minutes. This is highly common in Delhi and I am sure this would have happened with a lot of us. Can anyone advice me how to proceed for a legal action against the traffic police in this case and claim a compensation?

Learning

3 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     17 August 2010

Madam, I can understand your problem. It is possible for somebody to lose their life also if they are struck in traffic while they are going to hospital in an ambulance. In that case, they can sue the traffic police if they are not helped to move without delay. Ambulance, fire extinguishers are such emergency services which are expected to be allowed free and fast passage through traffic. 

But in the facts you have mentioned, it is seen that you were held up in traffic as a common man without any emergency. There may be many more people around you who might have to reach a place within specified time. Traffic congestion is so common in metros these days and even though police put up lot of efforts, it is not possible for them to help congestion during peak hours due to poor infrastructure. 

In such situations, it is advised that passengers have to leave their home earlier so as to reach their destination in time. I do not think traffic police can be held responsible in this situation.

harpreet singh (private practice)     18 August 2010

No legal action lies against the traffic police.. At the most you can file a Public Interest Litigation in the High Court citing the bottlenecks and problems enroute the airport so that the same can be removed for your smooth travel in future

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     18 August 2010

Excellent responds Suchitra.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register