Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sujatha sarangarajan (Housewife)     16 April 2015

Maintenance charges

Dear sirs,

I own a flat in an apartment of 8 dwellings in chennai. I was living abroad for the last 4 years. I let out the flat on rent. There is a man in our apartment who has a long standing dispute with the builder. Let's call him as X.  As I was away from chennai , I entrusted my flat with the builder for the purpose of letting out . This  x  approached me when I was in chennai and complained about the builder by hiding their dispute and asked me to handover my property in his custody . I personally knew about the builder for the last 20 years  since I was a child. When I refused to believe this X, he started harassing me by phoning at odd times. This was going on for the last 1 1/2 years. I stopped taking his phone calls. Both of my tenants vacated because of his harassment. Ever since I occupied my flat 6 months back, he visited my flat at odd times and is giving us a hell of a time. I live alone with my aged mother and an infant son. My husband is living abroad and visits us whenever he gets leave. Even though I pay my monthly maintenance charges every month, he started demanding the same on an annual basis. The apartment has no association and is not registered and many of the owners either live somewhere else or let out their properties on rent. So none of the occupants came to our help. He is threatening to name and shame me by putting my name in the notice board as a defaulter. Even though I agree to pay the charges on monthly basis , this X is insisting me to pay a bulk amount when there are certain occupants who refused to pay even the monthly charges regularly. He never approaches either the owners or the occupants when they defaulted .I believe he is harassing me for refusing to believe him about his complaints against the builder. He is running a one man show of maintening the apartment. Please guide me if this attitude of X is right in asking me to pay bulk maintenance charges ? Please enlighten me about the rules and regulations of apartments maintenance charges in Tamil Nadu.

Learning

1 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     17 April 2015

Mam, How can you take his attitude like this, he should be behind bars .... File a police compliant not mentioning your personal details to be on a safer side and teach him a lesson .... Warm Regards Kapil Chandna Adv 9899011450

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register