LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

PRATUL PANDEY (SELF)     26 February 2013

Liabiliy of successors in case of death

My father died in November 2006 but is reported to have taken a debt in the year 2003 of  appx Rs 3.50 lakhs

The case for recovery was filed in July 2006 and the summons reached us for the first time in December 2010.. Please advise as per Hindu law Ammendments 2005 , are we , the successors. liable to repay the debt . 

With Regards

Pratul Pandey 

Learning

5 Replies

(Guest)

@Querist,

You are liable to pay your father's debt only to the extent you recieved the property in inheritance from your father i.e. from the estate of your father you recieved and not liable to the pay the debt from your own earned property.

Note-This reply should be taken as per the declaration given in my profile page.

Thanks,

Regards,

Thanks for your reply. Please advise if the amount my father has spent on my Upbringing, Eductaion etc is counted as "Inheritance"  while deciding on the liability in these debt cases .

With regards

Pratul Pandey 

(Guest)
Originally posted by : PRATUL PANDEY

Thanks for your reply. Please advise if the amount my father has spent on my Upbringing, Eductaion etc is counted as "Inheritance"  while deciding on the liability in these debt cases .

With regards

Pratul Pandey 

No,Not at all. Your upbringing,education,and such other Qualitative things, which come under fundamental rights guaranteed to every citizen by the state itself,don't count in inheritance.

Note-This reply should be taken as per the declaration given in my profile page.

Thanks,

Regards,

Has the Hindu Succession Act 2005 relaxed  the liability of succesors for a debt, in case the debt was executed before 2005 .

(Guest)

@Querist,

It's called limited liability unless you are a guarantor in such a debt taken by your father. It's not about HSA 2005 or HSA 1956 that matters.

Thanks,

Regards,

[Last reply to this thread]

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register