Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suhasini Sharma (ASE)     17 March 2010

inter religious marriages

Dear Sir/Madam,

I want to know if a person gets converted to hinduism according to arya samaj and gets married according to hindu rituals. Then later can he register the marriage under SMA with his original religion? Suppose if the person is a Catholic and gets converted to hinduism for marriage sake then later can he register the marriage under SMA as catholic?

Regards,

Suhasini

Learning

13 Replies

N RAMESH. (Advocate Chennai. Formerly Civil Judge. Mobile.09444261613)     17 March 2010

yes.

TO register a marriage under hindu marraige act, he should be a hindu.

To register marraige under Spl Marriage Act, religion or caste is irrelevant.

Ok sir. But i am in a situation where my family is asking the guy whom i like t get converted. So even if we get married according to hindu rituals and he gets converted should not be a problem registering the marriage under SMA? But on the marriage certificate what would be his name? his changed name or original name?

N RAMESH. (Advocate Chennai. Formerly Civil Judge. Mobile.09444261613)     17 March 2010

I don't understand your query.

Please ask clearly.

The name in the marriage certificate will be as given by you.

Sorry for the confusion sir. Actually my family is insisting for conversion of the guy whom i like to get married.  it will be just a formality. But my family wants it to be legal. So for that guy has to  get converted in to hinduism in arya samaj and it will be documented to my knowledge and his name also will be changed. So after performing this marriage ritual, if i we want to get the marriage registered there wont be any problem with the religion and the changed name since we both want the marriage to be registered with our respective religions.

So this conversion which would be just a formality for parents sake will create any problem while registering under SMA? I will be a hindu and i he wants to be catholic while the marriage is registered. And one more thing sir can he later get back to his religion?

There will be no problem while registering under SMA.

While registering you can be hindu and he can remain christian.

Yes he can later get back to his religion.

So even after conversion according to arya samaj we can still register the marriage with our original religions. Thank you Sir.

One more thing Sir which section of SMA it has to be registered?

under section 12 of SMA, marraige is to be solemnised

and under section 13 marriage is to be registered.

Thank you Sir for your valuable advise...

Ok sir. So first if a marry according to my rituals with the other persons conversion, still i can get the marriage registered under section 13?

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     17 March 2010

Suhasini ji, I would suggest that one should get the marriage registered according to SMA, in case they are from different religions. Conversion just for the sake of marriage is not advisable.

V Kumar Singh (consultant)     17 March 2010

Do marry according to SMA.. it is made for inter religious marraiges only. We shold not paly with religion ... if he is converted to hinduism then it will be considered that a hindu married to you. but again conversion to another religion.????  Why it is required..

The problem is with my family. They want the conversion. I tried telling them so much about SMA but still they are insisting on conversion. I know its not fair to ask someone for conversion. I don't know how to go about it. So i asked the legal advise. I am not left with any option. Kindly let me guide me about it.

@ V Kumar Singh.

Sir i now if he gets converted he will be a Hindu marrying me. But that what my family is insisting on. So thats why i am finding a way how to get the marriage registered with me being a hindu and him being a catholic under SMA after getting married in our rituals.

My family says they says they don't expect him to follow hinduism forever but for the sake of geting married they want the conversion in arya samaj.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register