LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajesh (SWE)     20 July 2012

How much to be paid for breaking the engagement?

Dear sir,

I had to break the engagement due to my personal reasons.Earlier when i told this the girl's family threatened us by calling local rowdies,after that they told that they will file a complaint and drag us to the court for settlement.Immediately we have engaged a lawyer and found that they have given a written complaint in the police station and no FIR has been registered.Now they have called our mediator and told that if we give 15 lakhs as compensation,then they will not  approach the court.Otherwise they are threatnening that they will make us arrest.We told that we will bear all the financial loss suffered by them and we are ready to give 50 thousand to one lakh compensation.They are not agreeing for that.

Now can any body tell how much compensation court may ask us to pay them if they approach thecourt.Are there any chances that the court may send us to jail as punishment?

Advocates please help me.

Regards,

Rajesh.

Learning

5 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     20 July 2012

Hi rajesh, Merely breaking an engagement is not a criminal offence but a mere breach of contract that can fetch them damages. You may be threatened of implication in a false rape case or even a 498a case. Its better to start with some intimations to counter and prempt the same
1 Like

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     20 July 2012

Hi rajesh, Merely breaking an engagement is not a criminal offence but a mere breach of contract that can fetch them damages. You may be threatened of implication in a false rape case or even a 498a case. Its better to start with some intimations to counter and prempt the same

Rajesh (SWE)     20 July 2012

@Advocate Bharat Chugh,

Sir,

I have sent her a mail that iam not interested in marriage.The girl also accepted for breaking the engagement in the mail and i have that mail with me.Now the problem is with the girl's father.He is adopting some violent methods against my family.Sir,Can you tell me how much compensation the court may ask us to pay them.We cannot pay 15 lakhs as demanded by her father.Please tell me..

Thanks&Regards,

Rajesh.

Sushant Agrawal (Manager)     26 July 2012

My wife belongs to Haldiram Bhujiawala Kolkata and is own sister of the don PrabhuShankar Agrawal. My inlaws are billionaire and yet my wife is after my small money. She has implicated false 498A against me and bargained me for my assets and business. She never thought of what would happen to the marriage of our children and the reputation of Haldiram Family. When people will come to know of this 498A b*tch who will keep social relationship with Haldiram family

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 August 2012

Mr Sushant Aggarwal,

Please be practical not sentimental.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register