LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amor (Worker)     25 December 2010

Legal Heir of Deaceased Unmarried Son

A family consisting of father and mother, three married sons , one unmarried son and 6 daughters. Father divided his self earned properties among each sons equally (gave none to daughter)by giving statement to the talathi. After which everybody started enjoying their properties, after 2 years the unmarried son expired without issues ,and he left no will or settlement.  The father at that time gave a statement that the property should be transfered in the mother sole name to the Talathi .Now my question is 

Who is legal heir of the unmarried ,expired son?

Can the Fathers give such statement and can it every be invalidated or be challeged ever in court by daughters or sons.

Learning

4 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     26 December 2010

Who is legal heir of the unmarried ,expired son?

Ans. Under the HSA there are mainly 2 classes of heirs Class I & Class II heirs, the former take priority over the latter and succeed to the deceased property only in absence of the former the latter have right to succeed.

HEIRS IN CLASS I

Son, daughter, widow, mother, son of a pre-deceased son, daughter of a pre-deceased son, son of a pre-deceased daughter, duaghter of a pre-deceased daughter, widow of a pre-deceased son, son of pre-deceased son of a pre-deceased son, daughter of a pre-deceased son of a pre-deceased son, widow of a pre-deceased son of a pre-deceased son.

Class II

1. Father

2. (1) Son’s daughter’s son (2) son’s daughter’s daughter, (3) brother,(4) sister.

III. (1) Daughter’s son’s son, (2) daughter’s son’s daughter , (3) daughter’s daughter’s son, (4) daughter’s daughter’s daughter.

IV. (1) Brother’s son (2) Sister’s son, (3) brother’s daughter (4) Sister’s daughter.

V. Father’s father. Father’s mother.

VI. Father’s widow, brother’s widow.

VII Father’s brother, father’s sister.

VIII Mother’s father, mother’s sister.

IX Mother’s brother, mother’s sister.

Can the Fathers give such statement and can it every be invalidated or be challeged ever in court by daughters or sons.

Ans. Since the mother of the unmarried deceased son is alive she has complete right to succeed the property, the brothers or sisters of the deceased cannot claim any kind of right against the property in the court of law.

H.M.Patnaik (Proprietor)     26 December 2010

Well advised Mr. Vishal.

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     26 December 2010

Mother is the only heir coming under  Class I 

Amor (Worker)     26 December 2010

Thank you all for you quick reply and you expert advice....it has clearly answered my question.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register