LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deepankar Dey   21 February 2021

Feeling cheated by name change agent

I had to get my name changed in my son's birth certificate through official gazette. I caught hold of an agent for this and paid him Rs 7000 and he guaranteed me the name change will be published in the Indian gazette within 1 month.

The agent published the advt in the newspapers (1 hindi & 1 English) and sent them to me. After that he made me sign some affidavits and said there will be a receipt obtained from the authority of name change which he will give me.

Now this agent is not giving me the receipt nor his he updating me on the status of my name change request.
What should I do and is there a way to check official gazette online.

Learning

2 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   21 February 2021

After affidavit the end process is the simple Name Change Gazette Procedure remaining. Once your gazette notification is published, your name change will be legally complete.

The name change gazette notification is mandatory for those in employment with the government and optional for others. However, it is substantial proof of your name change. Since it just involves sending a few documents for publication, it may make sense to go through with it.

Here is what you need to do to submit the Gazette notification:

Carry a copy of the ‘Deed changing name form’ available with the Controller of Publication, Department of Publication;
Alternatively, a letter of declaration from you, stating the need for changing the name will do;
Carry original copies of advertisements published with the date. (Attach both ads);
Carry two attested photographs to ensure you go ahead with the procedure uninterrupted;
Carry address and identity proofs (The address should be the same as the one published in the newspaper and affidavit. Any change of address might result in rejection of application).
However, before sending in the following details, call the Controller’s office of Publication to get a detailed account of what all need to be sent, and note it down. Also, put the above documents in an A4 sized envelope before sending it to the below-mentioned address.

The office of the Controller of Publication will send information, with the necessary copies of the Gazette on which the Advertisement/Notification has appeared. Keep this safe for future reference.
Source:- VakilSearch

However, if you wish to report the agent for his cheat, you can lodge a complaint against him under section 420 of Indian Penal Code (IPC), 1860 for CHEATING.

Hope it Helps

Regards
Kevin M. Paul

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     01 May 2021

With the receipts and the paper notice go directly to the Govt press office and find the status 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register