LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

vinodray parmar (professor)     13 August 2016

Effective salary for calculation of gratuity

First of all thanks to the Lawyers Club and the Lawyers specifically who helped me with their valuable guidance to fight my gratuity case against employer. Now it is in the final stage.

There is dispute between me and the Controlling Authority about the Salary to be taken into consideration for calculation of gratuity.

My salary on 01/02/2014 was Basic pay + 90% D.A.

My last salary was for the month of March 2014 for 11 days only. During April/May 2014, 10% increase in D.A. with effect from 01/01/2014 was declared by government. Hence from 01/01/2014, the effective D.A. was 100% of Basic Pay. All employees on duty that time are given the effect and are paid arrears for increase in D.A. during salary of May 2014.

My services were terminated before the declaration of increase in D.A. hence employer has not paid the arrears to me despite of my several requests. Now while calculating the gratuity, the Controlling Authority has considered salary as Basic Pay + 90% D.A., as per last February 2014 pay slip.

I have appealed against the Order( Direction for Payment) to Appellate Authority  to justify that Basic pay + 100% D.A. should be considered as my salary, “ the payable salary”, for calculation of Gratuity irrespective of the fact that the employer has not paid me the arrears.

Kindly guide me whether my demand to consider D.A. as 100% , the effective D.A. from 01/01/2016,  when I was on duty, is justifiable or not for the calculation of gratuity. 

Learning

9 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 August 2016

Lasr Drawn Basic+DA.

Hope all employees are paid DA with effect from 01/01/2014 in salary of May 2014.

Press from "10% increase in D.A. with effect from 01/01/2014 was declared by government. Hence from 01/01/2014, the effective D.A. was 100% of Basic Pay. All employees on duty that time are given the effect and are paid arrears for increase in D.A. during salary of May 2014.'

and ask to compute DA w.e.f.  01/01/2014 and Obtain salary slip of March.and April, and submit to Controlling Authority.

And also press 'All employees on duty that time are given the effect and are paid arrears for increase in D.A. during salary of May 2014.' to both employer and Controlling Authority.

Let employer submit written reply.

If required puruse RTI route to get infor from employer.

You have made Feb salary slip the basis and Controlling Authority has referred to it.

Many many thanks Kumar Doab Sir for your prompt reply.

Unforunately, because of orthopaedic surgery, I was on duty till 11 March 2014. After that I was on long leave without pay. February pay slip has full month salay. March has only 11 days salry. From August, my sevices were verbally terminated. Hence February and March Pay slips are the last pay slips. So Controlling Authority has considered February as last pay slip.for B.P. and D.A. purpose.

Employer has paid D.A. arrears from January 2014 considering D.A. as 100% during May 2014. Because there is no pay for me after March 2014, no D.A. arrears are paid despite of several requests.

You have posted that:

"Employer has paid D.A. arrears from January 2014 considering D.A. as 100% during May 2014.'

Is there any condition that only those employee's that are in employment on day of disbursment, shall be paid.?

Sir, there is no such written condition.This is justto  harass and save D.A. expenditure.

Get it thru RTI and submit to CA.

Let employer state before CA on record by which power/rule it has not paid and or can decline to pay.

You can stake that employer is avoiding to pay;Sec;9.

O.K.Sir, I will definitely go by your valuable advice.

Many many thanks for spending your valuable time even on holiday for guiding me.

With warm regards.

Online discussions have its own limitations.

Recheck with your own counsel and apply your own judgment.

Sure Sir.

Have a good day...

You are welcome. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register