Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jayant Yadav (NA)     13 March 2013

Dv act after 15 years of marriajge

Dear Members...

Need your guidence and help in matter relating to my Sister, the fact of the cases are as below:

- My Sister has been married for last fifteen years, the guy is in Delhi Police. They have two child, son of 13 years and daughter of 9 years. She is a teacher in Delhi Govt.

- From the very begining she has been having tough time on family front. Initially her In- laws started pressuring her for her salary and other things

- She and her husband due to problem in commuting from their village to their offices, decided to move to Delhi Police staff quarters, however soon her husband and her family start harassing her for living seperately.

- Over period of time, the harassment increased as a result 10 years back we filed a complaint in police. Her husband apologied and assuring that he will not create problems again took her back.

- She was allocated an MIG flat by DDA, however her husband by pressuring her included his name in the registry.

- She is paying the EMI for the flat from her own salary.

- For last two years, the harrasment has increased tremendously, Her husband has problem, if some colleague of her calles her (male or female). He would snatch phone from her and ask about who called her and why, would look through her messages..

- He also had objection to why she wears new cloths..

- He started to raise issues with My sister or her kids visiting us...

- when it became too much, she came to our place and told us all she is putting up with.

- We called him up, he again started apologising, saying, I didn't mean anything by saying whatever i said to you...it was just like that...you are the best wife etc.

- We finally convinced my Sister to start fresh and give him another chance.

- Now, 4 months later, we got a call from her kids that we should help them our there mom (my sister ) will be dead.

- When we reached there, Her husband was trying to push her out of her home. we called up 100, the moment Police arrived he changed tone, saying there is no issue. He again apologied and settled up somethign with Police guys. Even the written complaint which we gave to Police is seeing no action.

- Yesterday, he stopped my sister on her way and threatend to kill the kids, if she didn't return.

- He is so shrewed that he starts apologising the moment one gets tougher with him. With my sister he shows his real colours.

-He has never harmed her physically, though he does beat up the kids. He doesn't contribute any money towards kids education or home.

- Can my sister claim to the house, as she was allocated the flat and is paying for it.

- Can you please guide, how do we move further now, Police is not cooperating as he is from Delhi Police only. The kids don't want to go back with their father. Should we file a DV case, if yes, how do we prove what he said. Can we get a protection order so that he can't harm the kids and my sister.

Would appreciate your reply and guidance..

Regards,

Learning

6 Replies

vijay (M)     13 March 2013

Numerous remedies are there in DV act.  take a bold step and get out of the house.

Ranee....... (NA)     13 March 2013

yes, your sister can get him out of the house with the help of a restraining order under dv act. there are many legal experts available in this site. select one from them and file the case directly in the court.

Jayant Yadav (NA)     14 March 2013

Thanks Ranee and Vijay.. Just for further clarification, is there a way she can get the ownership of the flat in either her or her kids name...this is the only financial security they got for the future..

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     14 March 2013

I disagree to usage of DV Act, 2005  in reference to peculiar brief;

It is amusing to note after 15 years living in a domestic violent relationship just for sole ownership of a flat this discussion is going on.

However;

1. In my opinion the missing fact which probably you didn’t place here dates to very allotment of MIG flat; at that time your sister was working and your BIL was also earning an income and for a single working spouse it would have been difficult to pay the EMI towards accepting call letter of DDA's MIG flat hence loan was lifted showing JOINT OWNERSHIP (i.e. showing income of respective spouse and for the same joint application for loan was filed) and later by paying 1% more Stamp Duty the allotment was effected and this is actual bone of contention now which is put in different tunes here. 

Having guessed so all she now needs is approval of him and dependent upon the area (MCD Zone) the flat is located, she pays Conversion Charge which varies from 25.720 K - 4,575 K per sq. and become its sole owner.

However if there is a legal dispute over property title or is mortgaged conversion will not be allowed of any DDA property (residential/plot/shop) hence make a wise suggestion to her before using DV on BIL as the moment she uses DV the property (main bone of contention right now is property) goes into litigation mode and then Conversion will be almost next to impossible to achieve and by that time her children will be married off and starting their own nests leaving behind retired parents to defend themselves in some trial Court of NCR!

4. Best would be to tell her to opt for Mutual Consent Divorce (MCD) by parting at present market value share of the property to her husband as one time alimony invoking social pressure (there you also contribute monetarily to bring in harmony to your sister’s life) and let her live in peace.

5. Anyhow the property will still see escalations post 6 months cooling period as in MCD so she and children are not at a long term loss when children also donot want to live with father and looking at the way it takes long years in litigation r/w litigation expenses r/w he in DP r/w his skin is legally tasty finally r/w the marriage is dead as it faded in 15 years which is decent enough shelf life of metro marriages in NCR.

Give her a wise suggestion instead of taking ringside seat and letting your earning sister as in joint owner of a MIG flat (probably valued today anywhere between 65 L. to 1 Cr. dependent upon its location) suffer more in her sunset years visiting various corridors of
NCR Court(s).

As per Freakonomics principles worth of a husband who is in DP in a MCD alimony from wife case is anywhere between 7 L – 15 L vis-à-vis she will shell out minimum 2.5 L – 3.5 L by filing DV + Divorce + S. 125 CrPC for minors + Custody for minors + Civil injunction case + Appeal before DB at HC + possible SLP at Apex Court all in next 5 – 7 golden sunset years of hers given to understand overburdened NCR trial Courts (FC’s) and choice of advocate to give these cases will not be below HC practicing standards which is my another guess believe me as here stakes are higher and opponent is in DP r/w property is a MIG flat whose valuation itself is showing rosy returns for all parties to the lis.

Hence revisit Freakonomics principles straight forward application also.

----------------------------------
DV Act, 2005 = Protection of Women against Domestic Violence Act, 2005
MCD = Mutual Consent Divorce
CrPC = Criminal Procedure Code
FC's = Family Courts
r/w - Read with
K = Thousand
L = Lacs
Cr. = Crore
NCR = National Capital Region

Msk-need -nuetral- laws (self)     14 March 2013

Agreed with Tajobs on his points of not using DV here if the intention is to obtain full rights of the flat

Jayant Yadav (NA)     14 March 2013

@Tajob : Thanks for your detailed reply... we also want to avoid the hassle and want her and kids to live peacfully. The problem is my BIL is not agreeing to anything... The main concern is not the appreciating property but a place for the her and kids to live post divorce. She has spent all her life's saving on this flat, kids education and other houshold expense. We are not looking for any alimony, child support , piece of his property (He belongs to delhi village). We just want her and her kids to be left alone.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register