Transfer of ownership and title for freehold apartment

Hello Dear Experts,

My father owned a Freehold apartment in a Co-operative Group Housing Society in East Delhi. He passed away last year. During his lifetime, he had completed the process of getting the apartment to FreeHold status from DDA. He also written a Will, which was also duly registered in the court, wherein he had mentioned that post his death, I, his only child and legal heir, will have ownership of this flat. Post his death, I approach the EDMC office in East Delhi, gave them a copy of the Will and other papers, and filed for Mutation of the flat in my name. The Mutation was also completed and I now have an official letter from the EDMC that the property has been mutated in my name, for property tax purposes only.

With that background, I have two queries for this group of experts :

1. Since mutation with the EDMC seems to apply only for property tax payment purposes, are there additional legal formalities to be completed for transfer of ownership, and transfer of title, in this case ? Legally speaking, am I now the designated owner of the flat, based on the mutation done, or is there any additional process / procedure to be completed ? If yes, can you please provide more details ?

2. I also wish to get a WILL drafted and registered in court, wherein I would like to register my WIFE as the sole nominee / inheritor of this flat / apartment, just like my father had drafted it for me. Is the above mutation that is now done in my name good enough for me to go ahead and get the will drafted ? Will I be considered the owner of this property, and hence eligible to get such a valid WILL drafted and registered in favor of my wife ? Please advice as to what is needed for this.

Thank you in advance.





Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu