Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vikram   07 October 2015

Credit card charge back issue

Hello,

I have purchased a Job portal package service from Nownaukri.com using CITI bank credit card for 14000 INR, later I some hours I came to know the company is a fradulent company who is cheating in the name of naukri.com.

So, I have requested CITI bank customer care with in 4 hrs of the actual transaction to hold/cancel the transaction which was in pending status. But they have refused to do it due to the following reason,

Email reply from CITI bank,

As per the process, upon receipt of a valid debit advice through a member bank of the Visa Master Card association, we are obliged to pay the acquiring bank/merchant. This charge is subsequently billed to the card account.  Accordingly, the above mentioned transactions were approved and billed to your card account. As the transactions were already approved, we were unable to cancel the same.

The transactions disputed by you were secured transactions done by validating the Internet Banking Password (IPIN), which is confidential and known only to the customer. We draw your reference to the below extract from the Card member Terms and Conditions under clause 20

20.        Disputes

20.4  Transactions, where the Card is not physically required, which are duly authorized by the Cardmember by use of the Cardmember’s Telephone Personal Identification Number (TPIN) or Internet Personal Identification Number (IPIN) or through any alternative authentication methods as prescribed by the Bank, such transactions are deemed to be valid transactions.

Unquote

Hence, as per card association guidelines we do not have charge back rights and we regret our inability to reverse the transaction.

Don't we have anything like Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) in India.

Shall I raise complaint with Ombudsman and consumer court, is there any possibilities to charge back my amount?

Kindly advise me.

Regards,

Vikram.K

Learning

1 Replies

Adv Rohit Dalmia 9324538481 (Lawyer)     09 October 2015

You need to ledge you grievance with the Merchnat and tell them you are canceling the transaction with them and ask for refund of the payment. Then you have to write a letter/email to the Citibank card division about the reason for cancelling the transaction alongwith the copy of the said letter/email written to the merchant.

Thereafter, the bank shall ask you to fill the necessary form and that they shall reverse back the amount in the next billing cycle.

Regards

Adv. Rohit M. Dalmia

Mumbai

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register