LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ManiMani (freelance)     23 May 2013

Credit card debt i did not know i had

I recieved a call from a collection agent on behalf of Kotak Mahindra, last week. She spoke very politely, however, when she told me the reason for my call, I was a 

little stunned. Because even though years ago (around 2006-2007) I had a loan with Abn Amro, it had been settled. 

Now she said that I also have an outstanding on a credit card. They said they brought it up now because Abn Amro has been taken over by Kotak, after it was sold to some other bank who sold it to Kotak. I do not remember using an Abn Amro credit card. Now, I did not deny it outright, however I mentioned 

that I would like a statement. 
I was told that they do not give statements for closed credit card accounts. Then I mentioned why should I pay  something that they have no proof of me owing to them. 

They said that it will go to CIBIL and I will never be able to get a loan. 

I felt a little confused, so sincemy father understands finance better than me, I asked them to speak with him, even that wasn't very fruitful. Many times I was told 

that I they will not remove my name from CIBIL and no bank will consider me. But the tone of the supervisor was similar to that of a veiled threat. The words were just 

right but, it felt like she meant to scare me. 

I kept saying that I do not accept nor deny that I have incurred that debt, however, I need proof. They said that I should come to the bank. Now, I'm uncomfortable 

with that- it's like going into the lion's den. So, I mentioned that they could email me the soft copy. They wouldn't agree to that- because my email address was not 

registered with them. They hd an old email address. So basically there is no way of getting to see the proof, unless I go to their territory. Am not doing that.

During the conversation, they mentioned that they know I work in retail etc... I'm just wondering, can they contact my employer? ( I suspect they got this information, 

via a job portal). Thankfully, I had not mentioned my residential address like most people do. 

So, I wanted to know that IF I DID use the card, how much would I need to pay?(I asked them this just in case I am unable to fight them on this, it was in no way an acceptance of the money owned)- They said my total was close to 32,000 but they can bring it down to 13000. and they can let me pay it in two installments. But if that is all I paid, then they will clear the debt but will not inform CIBIL about it, since I did not pay the full 32000. 

That amount included the interests and other charges added by the bank. They are talking about a time 6-7 years ago. Can they come back and do this? I don't remember having that card. But I DID have a loan with them which was paid in full.

So, I asked them. what if I paid the 13000 now(subject to them proving that it was my card) and they give me a letter and clear the debt. And then when I can pay the 

remainder 19000 in a few months after that, will they then remove my name from CIBIL? They refused and said that I can only do one thing. Either pay the whole amount 

(offered me installments of three months) and have my name cleared in CIBIL, or pay 13000 and the name stays in CIBIL. Now I told them that I will discuss this with an 

expert and let them know in 2 days. 

Right now I am looking for employment, I have little savings after a prolonged illness and operation, AND, going through a divorce, so legal fees are high. 
How am I supposed to pay them money, If I give them all I have, I won't have food to survive. Are they llowed to do that.

They also suggested that I borrow from someone/ my family etc. Can they do that?

I hve been co-operating and been patient and polite. However, I just want proof. and I am NOT going to their lair :) . I need to know my rights, because nobody really 

knows what they are. 

I read and researched the internet, I came across several websites , but most were about American companies. No easily comprehensible website for Indians. And some 

forums have experts, who just sit there but are of no help at all, since they do not reply at all. Then why take that responsibility?

Here is what I read, some of it helped , most didn't:

https://www.online.citibank.co.in/portal/newgen/cards/COC_Version_final.pdf - this is for Citibank, but so other bank follow similar COc?

https://www.wikihow.com/Deal-With-Collection-Agencies. - this helped a lot. but it is meant for American citizens.

Do they have a limited no. of years within which to collect these debts?
Do they owe me proof? And am I wrong in asking them to email me the statements?
Why are they asking me to pay for something without the statement?
Can they refuse to delete my name from CIBIL even when I pay the amount they say that I need to, to close my account? If the account is closed, then why don't they inform CIBIL?
Can they suddenly call up after all these years and demand that I pay up right away? If this turns out to be something I have to pay for, I am not prepared for it. 

If they provide proof, I will pay, however, I cannot pay they additional charges that they have piled on after....so many years if the card is closed. 

My final question is,...what do I do?

Learning

3 Replies

Hemang (Advocate)     24 May 2013

You are not supposed to pay any money to Kotak Mahendra Bank having regard to the provision of limitation Act. The "alleged debt" is "time barred". And, therefore, you may not bother. Every creditor, who has advanced or financed money has to file a suit for recovery within a period of three years. If, they fail to file and recover within the stipulated statutory time, the right to take action by way of litigation against you is lost. 

Kotak mahendra Bank has taken over the "debt assignment". Most of the cases are "time barred". So they make soft and hard recovery, but do not pay any attention to it. It is advisable to file a suit for declaration against Messers Kotak Mahendra Bank praying inter alia to the effect that the debt is time barred and hence, you are not bound to make the payment. Such suit for declaration is also filed by me for and on behalf of my client. 

They have a right to recover the money, but remedy before the court is lost under the existing provisions. Go through the notice attached and the plaint.

Attached File : 715548231 dhirenbhai bhanuprasad patel.docx, 715548231 db patel pdf binder.pdf downloaded: 997 times
1 Like

ManiMani (freelance)     24 May 2013

Thank you so much. Just one question (only for my peace of mind), does this stand true for banks which buy other banks along with their bad debt? Does the time period get 'reset' to 0 yrs ? I will speak with them and if they give me any new excuse I will let you know. Also, what about the CIBIL matter they were giving me disguised threats about?

ManiMani (freelance)     24 May 2013

Thank you so much for answering the query, Please could you clarify one more point, you mentioned that "most" of the debts re time-barred, does that mean that in my case it COULD not be time-barred? I'm sorry it may seem like a silly question, but you are an expert. Also, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register