LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jitesh (Executive)     22 July 2012

Spelling mistake in Surname

Dear Sirs, My name is Jitesh Rathore, But on all my documents since school days the spelling of my surname is misspelled as Rathor. After marriage I did not want to make same mistake with my wife and child. So their surname on all documets is Rathore, and all family member's surname is also correct i.e. Rathore. Now I want to apply for passport for me, wife and child. But when I asked this doubt to passport office about the spelling mistake in my documents, they suggested to 1st change my surname by publishing in Newpaper and thereby in official gazzet. After this change only I can apply for passport of wife and child because the surname should match in all documents of us three. My 1st question is: Is it really not possible to get passport of myself with a different surname (minor spelling error) then my wife and child. 2nd question: If I have to change my surname then what will be the consequences. I mean do I have to change surname in all documents having wrong surname i.e. Educational cirtificates, mark sheets, PAN card, Ration card, electricity bill, telephone bill, bank accounts, company records, PF record, LIC policy, FDs, Vehicle registration, Property documents, etc. It will be a tedious job then. Please help with expert comments.

Learning

4 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     22 July 2012

dear jitesh,

changing the spelling mistake or surname is easy procedure,

you have to file declaration suit in the juridicature court  against the general public after that you have to make publication in official gazette .

nope you dnt have to change the name of yours or spelling change in all documents,there is no need for doing this as per this procedure by publishing you will declare to the genral public that mr.jitesh rathor and jitesh rathore are same persons and jitesh rathor had changed his name to jitesh rathore now and all concerned persons and authorities may notice it for there concern.

feel free to call

1 Like

Jitesh (Executive)     23 July 2012

Thanks for your reply.

I am happy to know that I don't have to correct spelling mistakes on all documents. I still have some doubts.

1. After correction of surname and getting passport, I must not use incorrect surname anywhere, henceforth. Am I right?

2. If not all, what are the mandatory documents that I have to change. example I think PAN card, it must be changed as it is my basic identity. And if i change name in PAN card then I must change the same in my bank accounts, if i change name in bank accounts then have to change in LICs & FDs otherwise cheque can bounce, with same logic I have to change name in Electricily bills, telephone bill, company records (for getting correct form 16) etc. Or is there any way out?

3. The passport office advised me to publish name change in newspaper and then in official gazette. Have I understood them correctly? As you are saying " file declaration suit in the juridicature court  against the general public" (how).

Please help to understand matter completely.

Mullapudi Meher Sai Vivek   19 August 2015

Dear sirs and madams, 

My name is Mullapudi Meher sai vivek born on 15th Aug 1993. Unfortunately in SSC certificates my name and my father's name is wrongly noted as Mullpudi Meher sai vivek and Mullpudi Narasimha Murthy respectively , instead of Mullapudi Meher sai vivek, s/o Mullapudi Narasimha Murthy.

I made my affidavit to change my name and my father's in SSC certificates. The name in intermediate certificates also same as per the SSC certifiacates. But when i was joining in B.tech i correctly given my name as Mullapudi Meher sai vivek. so in my B.tech certificates the name as not like as per SSC and Intermediate Certificates.

In Date of Birth certificate, AADHAR Card and in Bank Accounts i correctly Given my name as Mullapudi Meher sai Vivek.  

In Voter ID my name is Mehar sai vivek Mullapudi, Here in voter ID the 1st name Meher misspelled as Mehar. I will change it as Mullapudi Meher sai vivek.  

1st I want to apply for Passport so what can i do to the passport officers will accept for my passport ?

2nd How can i change my name in SSC and Intermediate Certificates ? 

Lalbachan Sharma   02 July 2016

Hi, My name is Lalbachan Sharma , But on all my documents since school days the spelling of my surname is mis-spelled as Bisharma. Now I want to change to my surnmae from BIsharma to Sharma please guide with procdure to change my surname 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register