Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Devakrishnan (Consultant)     31 March 2011

what is the difference between an LAWYER and an ADVOCATE?

hi freinds

what is the difference between an LAWYER and an ADVOCATE ?

Learning

16 Replies

sureeli sharma (advocate)     31 March 2011

There is not much difference between these two terms as such. LAWYER is a person who is still in the process of  pursuing Law/LL.B Whereas term  ADVOCATE is usually refers to a lawyer who is practising and who has completed his law course and is no more a student. So the former  is used informally /casually while the latter one is formally used.

Thus, it can be said that an advocate may be a lawyer but a lawyer may not be an advocate .An 'Advocate' is a step ahead of a' lawyer'.

1 Like

Bharath.T. (Criminial And Civil)     31 March 2011

An advocate is someone who speaks on behalf of another person

A lawyer, according to Black's Law Dictionary, is "a person learned in the law; as an attorney, counsel or solicitor; a person licensed to practice law. . who gives legal advice.

Bharath.T. (Criminial And Civil)     31 March 2011

Mr.Sureeli , i doubt that a person pursuing LLB or BL cannot be considered as an lawyer, as only after getting LLB or BL degree he is licensed to practice law.

Regards

1 Like

sureeli sharma (advocate)     31 March 2011

Sir ,

I fully agree with your answer .My answer was as per the oxford dictionary meaning and the meaning of a LAWYER given in it is 'a person who practises or studies law'.And the meaning of ADVOCATE according to that is ' a person who publically supports or recommends a cause or policy.'

Thanks for correcting me.

Regards

suryagaurav (manager)     31 March 2011

practicing and studies means after getting licence , not before . studying is a lifelong process for an advocate.

thats it.

by the way dont go by the words , instead go by the essence of the meaning in dictionary.

good luck

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     31 March 2011

what is the difference between an LAWYER and an ADVOCATE?

LAWYER never begin with an ,

and offcourse ADVOCATE always begin with an.

and except this all advice in this thread has been given allredy!

2 Like

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     31 March 2011

1. LAWYER never begin with an ,
  2. and offcourse ADVOCATE always begin with an.

Mohd Musabbir Ansari (Legal Practice/Litigation New Delhi 09582547570 )     31 March 2011

In my opinion lawyer is a very wide term. It refers a person who is skilled in law. lawyer may may be consultant, solicitor, scholar, have done his law degree etc.

However advocate is a term which is vey specific. In India, as per Advocates Act, only can plead in the Court. It is only advocate who can represent other. Therefore all the person practicing are lawyers as well as advocates.

(Guest)

Dear Friends, please see this sentence;

“I have many Lawyers to consult and hired one out of these as my Advocate to present my side in the Court”.

All are Lawyers (Learned the Law) and some have licence to do Advocacy and practicing the advocacy after a vakaalatnama from a client he/she becomes his/her advocate.

So the name plates should be like – Lawyer M. M. Singh, but it is in practice – Adv. M. M. Singh (means I can be your advocate as I am registered to practice as an advocate)

Am I wrong?

(Guest)

All are Lawyers (Learned the Law) means all those have degree of law, LL.B  and other. But some do not practice as an advocate.

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     01 April 2011

for all practical purposes, the meaning illuminated from the words 'lawyer' & 'advocate' are same.

dictionary meaning as stated are confusing ; even a student declared as lawyer - it is surprising.

Gulshan Tanwar (Advocate)     06 April 2011

Lawyer is a person who is practicing law but not appearing in Courts on behalf of Others whereas Advocate is governed by the Advocates Act and an Advocate is part and parcel of the administration of justice.

All Advocates are lawyers but not vice-versa-

Vinod (Jr Advocate)     24 August 2014

ADVOCATE means-A person who studied LAW and enrolled  under Advocates Act ....LAWYER Means A Person who still pursuing B.L./LL.B

(Guest)
lawyer is one who is learned in field of law . who holds some qualifications in field of law and practices it . advocate is one who is granted a licence to practice at bar by var council . he practiced law before any statutory agency . A lawyer mat or not practice in court and may be a consulting expert. there are many such lawyers who don't practice at bar or appear in court

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register