LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Charan (HR)     02 August 2010

Accident in the company cab

Earlier I posted this thinking that blue collar workers are to be covered under WC act. However,Let me restate the case again.

I had a major accident in office provided cab while commuting to home from office in Y2007. I was boarding seat next to the driver & one lorry hit the cab from left on my door. I suffered some severe damages which doctors said that they are expected to recover in 2-3 years. Now, 3 years have passed by & damages didn''t recover & the doctor gave me medical report too.

I faced this accident before I turn 25 & that time my salary was 40K per month. I got damage 2 my eye for which working in IT also becomes more problematic. Apart from the above, I have damages to my speech & sensation in right side is reduced. Leaving apart orthopedic injury & small injuries, I am facing severe problems in my personal life & professional life as well.

I have a 12cm scar in my face for which getting a bride is becoming difficult. I couldn't go for my MBA although I have given the exam already. I am not getting additional life insurance too. Moreover, my performance at work is drastically affected for which I am not competitive anymore.

For all the above, I want to claim for compensation. I am not sure against whom?All I know is that it happended in my office cab & somewhere my company is alsio responsible.Please help.

Learning

5 Replies

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     02 August 2010

You can claim from the employer /company under workmen compensation Act and also from the owner or insurer of maxi cab under MV Act

Charan (HR)     03 August 2010

I am a software engineer which is not a blue-collar job. I think WC Act is not applicable to me. Please confirm. If there is any good lawyer from Hyderabad is in the forum, please let me know. I need a lawyer to represent my case.

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     04 August 2010

The Company ought to have taken a Group Insurance Policy for its executives/managers. Also since the accident occurred during the course of employment, the company is liable to pay you adequate compensation. You have not discussed the aftermath of the accident and course of assistance provided by the Company, FIR and any claim preferred under the m.v. act. Brief facts would help the forum members to advise you of the proper course of relief.

vasudevan

1 Like

Charan (HR)     05 August 2010

Thanks 4 ur reply.

Group insurance policy: Yes, my company has a group policy but the limit is only Rs 5 lacs which doesn't indemnify me by not even 5%.

Aftermaths pf the accident: After 11 months of the accident, I joined the company back even facing difficulties as I was concerned about my career. Between those 11 months, company paid all medical expenses incurred & continued my full salary.

After I joined, I could work slower than other team members, but certainly recognised by management & I got one appreciation. Though they didn't promote me to next level due to recission & finally in OCT2009, I got promoted.

But then the management was changed. After 6 months only in MAR2010 ending appraisal, I was rated as an underperformer. I was given comments that I'm not fit for this role & even if I am trying, I am not able to do things & I have to be more responsive. All these points implies to difficulties I am facing after accident due to speech disorder & memory disorder.

I believe first time when I was recognised, then management was very much aware of what I have been thru & they recognised but as the management is changed & they were not aware, they gave their judgement without prejudice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facts of the accident day: To tell about the accident, there were 2 other persons boarding the cab. Those 2 persons were from different company & they shud not be present in the cab. The driver told the company that they were my friends & I asked the driver to allow them to cab. While I don't have any recollection of that day altogether due to head injury, they are not my friends & I don't know them. I suppose the driver would have allowed them to earn some money. He had asked me or not, I am not sure.

I was badly injured & at first, 3 doctors said "No chance". However, one doctor took a chance as I was only 25 that time & kept nder observation. I was in Koma for sometime too.

FIR details: FIR says that the lorry was at fault & under section IPC 337, the case was registered.

Please help me in understanding how strong is my case & will court award compensation more or less equal to my damages.  Also, under which law I have to file a case & against which party.

Charan (HR)     05 August 2010

Forgot to mention,

1. The lorry driver who hit our cab was presented before court & his license was cancelled.

2. The cab agency which provides cabs to our company fired the driver the next day.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register